Existing Member?

WT09 your two favourite gap-yearers make their way around the world armed only with a sense of adventure and a photocopied lonely planet guide to the mekong. wish us luck!

phnom penh, cambodia

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 16 May 2009 | Views [917] | Comments [5]

srey yi

srey yi

hey to everyone who is actually reading this, if you are, we love you, if you're nopt, well i guess you wont know that we dont want to be your friend anymore.

so we're now in cambodia, stop number one, and it's amazing, if a little hot.  and by a little i mean 35 degrees, 60-70% humidity, and no fans. because electricity is only from 5-6am and then from 6-8:30 pm, which takes a little getting used to, but is nowhere near as bad as one might think... there's also no running water, much less hot water, so showers are cold and from a little bucket. amazingly, this seems to be a good thing. big changes are much easier to get used to than little ones, making a 5am start manageable.

everything is ridiculously cheap, from $1 taxis to $1.20 vodka cruisers, to buying 2 cokes, a bottle of water and various snacks for about 75 cents. so far, our budget is going well.

we had giant icecream sundaes this morning, an early birthday celebration (we're in Phnom Penh atm, not at NHCC - the orphanage), and they were so good after craving icecream for a week.

xx vivienne

 

hello friends and family

i thought i would just add a few little things to vivienne's very comprehensive blog above...

so just to be clear, we are in Phnom Penh the Cambodian capital for a weekend of 24-hour electricity, running water and sleep ins as an early ce3lebration of v's impending 18th birthday, but we've spent the past week at New Hope for Cambodian Children (NHCC) orphanage which is about an hour south of Phnom Penh (a city which so far wins the title of the hardest place to spell, however i have no doubt we will find an even trickier place name somewhere further along the track).

the orphanage is an amazing place- there are about 160 kids aged from around 2 to about 16, all of whom have HIV. it's kind of strange to be seeing how HIV/AIDS has affected people first-hand, as opposed to hearing about it on TV or in the papers, as most of these kids are also orphans of HIV.

not that you would know that theý have had humble beginnings, as they are now some of the happiest children you would ever meet! we do the morning nursery and the afternoon pre-school and are getting to know some of the kids quite well, which is really nice.

so we feel already like we've made a great decision to come here, and we'll keep you posted on our exciting adventures around cambodia, which will carry on for about a month yet.

anyway we'll try to upload some photos, but let's be honest and say that vivienne and my computer skills combined are still pretty bad, so good luck us.

much love xoxox iona

Comments

1

hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi
sounds like a mega cool time you guys. have a drink for us (or several. thousand). perhaps have a drink for each of the letters of our names. including middle names.

hope you have a really mad birthday vivienne, i know you will (getting up at 5am on your birthday? why not?). sounds like you guys are the best people i ever met helping those little chillen. give them a hug from us.

love you miss you

also, i hope your ice-cream sundae was delicious and birthdayrific

xxx franny and lucy

  Franny and Lucy May 17, 2009 2:58 PM

2

Hey Vivienne and Iona. Hope you're having a great time. Happy birthday Vivienne. Hope to hear from you soon.

  Laulau May 18, 2009 6:04 PM

3

Hi Vivienne: Wishing you every joy for a happy 18th birthday from the Mains. I suspect you will be in bed by 8pm tonight but save up for party time next weekend! All our love to Iona too, Anna

  Anna May 18, 2009 6:07 PM

4

Hi girls!
Happy (belated) birthday vivienne!!!! Hope you are both having an amazing time :)
I need to know urgently if you've already booked accomodation in Greece for us, because I've lost my ticket to Mykonos (gotta love travel agents) and the extra cost is too much. So if you haven't already booked accomodation for me, please don't. And if you have, please let me know soon, so I can buy this new ticket. Also if you have, have you also booked ferries between the islands for me? and what dates would we be on the islands? I'm sorry this has happened, but I need to know details to plan my own affairs.
Email or facebook me to let me know where the plans stand.
Keep enjoying your holiday immensely, and I look forward to hearing from you soon! xxx

  Jackie May 22, 2009 4:47 PM

5

wow guys, that sounds so amazing. a really intense and life changing experience. sounds like you are going to have a great gap together!! miles better than some contiki crap. xx

  Clare Sul May 25, 2009 7:56 PM

About vivienne_and_iona

it got cold

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.