Existing Member?

Disconnect to Reconnect

Arriving at my new Home

ECUADOR | Sunday, 29 January 2012 | Views [493]

I have arrived in Tena. My family includes my most parents, grandmother, cousins, and three sisters. We live in the San Jorge district of Tena, the capital city of the district Napò. No one in the family speaks english, but regaurdless of language my youngest sister, a 6 years old named Heather, has become my best friend so far.

tThe day after arrival I began my volunteer postition in a School called Jardin (pronounced in english as Hardeen). It is hard for my Montessori mind to grasp the idea of of four year olds sitting quietly and contained in rows of desks, or perhaps it it that I have watched as this does not work. I am not by any means an expert on child development or teaching, but I find it somewhat obvious that the behavior of a four year old is much different from what has being expected of them in my last two days of observation. There have been five University students from Tena who have been finishing their teaching projects at the school. This made a ratio of 7-8 adults for 12 children the first day and 8-9 adults to 16 children the second day. The University students got very frustrated at times with the children. I have not helped much so far, because I am not sure how. Next week it will be only me and the main teacher, Laura which should make things easier. The langauge burriar is frustrating, but I am learning more everyday.

Nina, a German university student who is interning in Tena, brought me into town and to the river. She as shown me the basis of the town and given me learning tips for the language. When she first came to Tena three months ago she did not speak much spanish, now whe is leaving and can speak fluently. I will miss the company for the afternoons.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.