Existing Member?

Disconnect to Reconnect

SEA and the Sargasso Sea

BERMUDA | Wednesday, 2 September 2015 | Views [315]

PC Joseph Townsend

PC Joseph Townsend

Dear Readers,

There are many adventures that I have not written publically about, but these will have to wait. For now this will be my attempt to catch you up on my most recent semester at SEA: Sea Education Association. I can briefly describe SEA as INCREDIBLE:

Interactive

Non-traditional

Creative

Rewarding

Expertly

Directional

Intellectually

Beautiful

Learning

Experience

 

In short, my experience at SEA was just as I described it in general, incredible. In 12 short weeks I found a family of friends that I will cherish forever, a motivation that allowed me to go with very little sleep for weeks on end, and a passion for marine conservation and spatial planning that I never new existed.

 

The SEA class of C-259 participated in the Marine Biodiversity and Conservation spring semester of 2015.  We were led by our lead scientist Amy Suida, our expert in Marine Spatial planning Tiffany Smythe, and our great captain whom I shall not name. With the help of these outstanding mentors and many inspiring guest speakers C-295 learned how to sail a tall ship, conduct original oceanographic research, and developed an impressive management plan for the Sargasso Sea.

            The Sargasso Sea makes up a large portion of ocean area in the North Atlantic. Although many people do not know of the Sargasso Sea by name, it is of great economic and cultural importance to anyone who enjoys fish, products that are shipped across the ocean, many other resources that come from the ocean, and even people who enjoy our currently climate. Our class was tasked with coming up with a way to manage this area for human uses and conservation efforts. To learn more about the area and our proposal to manage the area, please view A Management Proposal for the Sargasso Sea or learn more about the Sargasso Sea Commission and their work.

To access C-259’s final symposium presentations that outline the key components that we focused on for creating our management plan the proposals that we made please visit SEA on YouTube at: C-259 symposium videos. The videos can be views in any order or as single sections, however they were originally presented in the following order: Intro to the Sargasso Sea Management Plan, Context & Management areas, Conservation Targets, Conservation Stressors, Fisheries in the Sargasso Sea, and Maritime Traffic in the Sargasso Sea.

 

Thank you for your support and interest in the Sargasso Sea. 

Tags: sargasso sea

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Bermuda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.