Existing Member?

Disconnect to Reconnect

Adventures of Quito

ECUADOR | Sunday, 29 January 2012 | Views [375]

There is no defining moment for when my journy began. It could have been eight months ago when I first booked a four month long trip to Ecuador or perhapes it has been the process of excitment and nevesness that I experienced leading up to the day I left. On January 16th I took my first flying lessons from the comforts of my family, friends, and Compass Montessori. As I checked my luggauge in DIA I hoped that security would not open the box of Montessori Materials that my mom had some how jigsawed together to fit. Through out the day security ,airport officials, and other travelers questioned my about the blue and red rods,used to teach measurement in a Montessori Children´s House, that I was carrying. After a delayed flight to Quito, and a feable attempt to explain to customs why I had a tourist visa for four months, I finally made it onto the streets of Quito.

On the first day in Quito I stood at the center of the world, saw my first shrunken heads, met my Brittish roomate, Heather, and begun spanish lessons. I soon realized just how much independence I had asked for when I had to navigate my own way around the city. My first taxi ride alone was the greatest lesson that I have had in Quito so far. The taxi driver was able to target me as a tourist and create an alternative route that got us both lost and cost me much more time then neccissary. I have now learned to memorize the exact routes for how to get to common places. What would have been my last day in Quito proved to be the most frusterating day of all because I had to register my tourist visa. The political system in Quito is very currupt and no one knows exactly how the visa system works. Gaby, my in country coordinator, thankfully has helped me with the system, that has kept me in Quito for an additional four days.

I spent the weekend traveling with my new friend from South Korea, whom I met shortly after my roomate left and I moved into the main appartment. We live on the top floor of a blue building above a car dealership with a very kind older woman, Maria Leli, and her sister, Maria. On Saturday we traveled to the town of Oltravalo to witness the magnificent outdoor market. The market filled most of the streets and had everything from typicall Ecuadorian food and clothing to Westering clothing, toiletries, and computers. Anything you wanted you could get there, but it is very important to bargain the price otherwise it is considered unlucky for the murchant. On Sunday we journied to the old town of South Quito. The grand plaza was packed full of people. Some were there for their Sunday Mass, others to entertain or enjoy the entertainment. Quito is a mixed place of Ecuador´s new westernized culture and the incredable past. Although the Incans were here and imposed their language, it is very uncommon to find any Ecuadorian that will discuss the Incas in their country.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.