Existing Member?

Pommie Travels the World Victoria is a blogger who has been travelling the world solo since 2008.

SWIMMING WITH STUFF: TUNA

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 15 March 2010 | Views [2278]

Port Lincoln- where danger is just under the surface, just when you think it’s safe to enter the water after tempting fate with the notorious Great White Shark, look out here comes something most people are accustomed to finding on shelves in Woollies in a can……..TUNA.

Can you imagine a 40 kilo can of tuna moving at 70km/hr with razor sharp teeth? Well I have the injuries to prove that they can make a mess of one’s fingers. I wasn’t too overjoyed to be in the water with them initially; it’s like being in a massive goldfish tank at dinner time except you’re floating around with fish that have a cutlery set in their mouths.

A little daunting at first but I’m a bit of a chicken. Vics was straight in there loving it and most of the tuna weighed more than her, she’s nuts!

It’s an interesting process that goes into farming tuna; they’re wild tuna caught then brought into a bay where they can be fattened up to be exported mainly to Japan. Over there they’re fetching at the prime market price around $250,000 a tonne. To me for some raw fish dipped in soy sauce and wasabi that’s up there.

After swimming and reboarding the boat to head back they had a taster on the boat of sashimi. I was keen to try something new and after having them chew on me I figured I could get one back on them, oh how I was wrong! Those suckers got the last laugh because they taste so bad even my stomach turns as I write this, YUK!! Spew!

Sorry Japan but you can keep that expensive stuff you call a delicacy and I’ll stick to meat pies with tomato sauce.

Tags: adventure bay charters, port lincoln, south australia, swimming with tuna, trent, tuna, tuna swim, vantastic, victoria, world nomads

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.