Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 48: Monreale, le catacombe, e una chiesa incompleta

ITALY | Friday, 25 October 2013 | Views [347]

Chiesa di Santa Maria dello Spasimo in Palermo.

Chiesa di Santa Maria dello Spasimo in Palermo.

I started the day early, thinking I could fit Monreale & the catacombs into the morning, since both the duomo & the catacombs close @ 12:30. However, I had to deal with buses and that always seems to mess with my plan. 7 weeks in Italy and I still cannot figure out the buses. The 389 bus is supposed to run to Monreale, but the service is suspended, which I did not know. So I got on, but had to get off at the last stop, which was still far from my destination. So I waited, thinking there would be another bus, and this lady at the stop offered me a ride-she just had to wait on some other people, who never showed. So, she gave me a ride up to Monreale. I thought she was just being friendly, but I later learned that since the service is suspended, there are locals who wait at the station & give people rides for €1 as an alternative to the bus. I gave her €5, but whatever, she got me there. I would have been waiting at that stop all day or would have given up & missed out on the beautiful Duomo. It too is decked out in glittering gold mosaic, with a huge figure of Christ in the apse & biblical scenes all along the nave & aisles. You must know by now how impressed I am with the Byzantine style mosaics in all these churches. This cathedral was huge and covered in them. I also climbed the dome, which offers a gorgeous view of the city of Palermo, flanked on both sides by mountains and with the sea beyond. I didn't realize Palermo was so beautiful. There are definitely some areas that are less than attractive, but the architecture & the  churches and the location are all stunning. I didn't explore Monreale much, I found the bus stop & waited for the 389 bus (at this point I hadn't yet figured out that it didn't come this far). Lucky for me, there was a family also going to Palermo, who told me that the 389 didn't come this far, so I had to take a local bus to a stop lower down, and from there catch the 389. So I got on the next local bus with them, and when we all got off they showed me where I had to go next. Thank goodness for some friendly Sicilians otherwise my morning would have been so frustrating. I got back too late to visit the catacombs and debated walking all the way back to the apartment for the bathroom & rest, but I had a killer headache & didn't feel like going all the way & then coming back. So I stopped at a restaurant for lunch. It seemed pretty touristy, so i wasn't expecting much, but my meal was actually quite tasty. Another Sicilian dish-Fettuccine alla Norma-with eggplant(fried), tomato sauce, basil & ricotta salata. Italy has given me a whole new appreciation for eggplant, a veggie I was never too fond of. I had a long leisurely lunch, chatted with the friendly waiter a bit in Italian (I was able to practice quite a bit of Italian today, which was nice). Then made my way back toward the catacombs. I still had about a half hour wait when I got there, so I thought I would get gelato, but the cafe nearby didn't have any. So I settled for the next best thing-cassata. The catacombs consist of a whole bunch of mummified & dressed skeletons & bodies. Creepy and fascinating (sorry, no pictures allowed). I latched onto a tour in English, which was nice because I was able to understand more about the place than if I went in solo. After the catacombs I walked all the way down to the Kalsa district (about an hour walk) where I was able to find the Chiesa di Santa Maria dello Spasimo, which is a church that was never completed and has no roof and is open to the elements, with a tree growing inside of it. Very cool. That was my last stop for the day, since my body is telling me it needs to rest.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.