Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 37: Sweet Sorrento

ITALY | Monday, 14 October 2013 | Views [276]

Produce vendor in Sorrento

Produce vendor in Sorrento

I am in Sorrento today. Wow what a nice change of pace. I barely caught the train from Napoli, and it was packed. But the ride was nice & the view was lovely. We passed by Vesuvius, you can see where it forms a crater on top. The train goes all along the coast and the views of the bay are beautiful and the landscape is lush and green. After some trouble, I found my B&B, was way early but able to check in & leave my bag. Stopped @ a cafe for an espresso (& the bathroom), and now enjoying some local limoncello-oh my goodness, so good!-followed by-what else? gelato! 

I then went for a wander & found another gelato place which had a flavor I just had to try-ricotta w/walnuts @ honey, so more gelato. Well, I didn't have lunch, so why not? I'm on vacation, no judgement.

I just spent the entire afternoon walking around central Sorrento, which is quite small so I couldn't really get lost. The town has a few piazzas, lots of cute little side streets selling all things lemon, a few churches (I visited the ones that were open), and parks with views of the sea & Napoli & Vesuvius in the distance. There was also a hilly street I walked up that went by a deep gorge with ruins of what appeared to be ancient walls or an old building of some sort. Lovely little town, definitely attracts the older crowd.
 
I have my own room & bathroom tonight, in a simple little b&b, & my dinner was at a vegetarian restaurant, with offerings like tofu ravioli & farro gnocchi. (Im treating myself-yesterday was my birthday, after all). Quite a change from Napoli indeed, & I'm only just across the bay.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.