Existing Member?

Italia da sola

Day 18: Vernazza, Monterosso, & Riomaggiore

ITALY | Wednesday, 25 September 2013 | Views [428]

Cinque Terre wine

Cinque Terre wine

More hiking today. I am very aware of my legs. I took the packed train to Vernazza and started my hike up the mountain to Santuario della Madonna di Reggio. It's a beautiful hike up the green mountains, with views of Vernazza and the Mediterranean below. I passed a group of people helping to harvest olives, and I was also able to watch one of the grape pickers riding along on the little machine that looks like a tiny roller coaster and winds through all the vineyards. The trail is set up with little shrines depicting the stations of the cross along the way. There was one point where there was some sort of construction going on and it looked like the trail was closed and I debated turning back, but I trekked on and finally reached the Santuario. It was very peaceful and cool and relaxing up there after that long sweaty hike. And, there was a clean bathroom which wasn't just a hole in the ground, which was lovely. I returned to Vernazza and didn't explore very much only because the masses of people were overwhelming. I waited for the next train and went to Monterosso, where I hiked up to the Chiesa di San Francesco and convent, once again-incredible views. I walked around the town a bit, checked out the church and the oratory next door, then decided to head to Riomaggiore. I checked out the rocky beach there, then wandered around the village. Lovely town, similar to Manarola with its cliff side buildings and steep hills. I am spending the evening drinking a bottle of Cinque Terre white wine, subtle and light but tasty. It looks like there is a building next door where they process all the grapes. Very cool seeing all the work that goes on in these lovely little towns. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.