Existing Member?

A Hop, Skip, and an Ocean Away

Our First Evening in St. Gallen

SWITZERLAND | Sunday, 4 July 2010 | Views [616] | Comments [1]

7-3 Now we are in Switzerland! When we crossed the border at Lindau I saw Lake Constance out the window and was stunned. What a gorgeous landscape. It was like riding through a postcard scene. The water was a turquoise green color and there were mountains in the distance - wow.

We arrived in St. Gallen around 4pm and our host, Cristof, picked us up from the train station - which was awesome! It's the first time anyone has down that for us this entire trip! We relaxed a little bit at the flat before venturing out. We had plans to meet Roger - a friend of Zach's dad - at seven so we wandered around the town a little bit. It's surreal. Everything looks so quintessentially swiss. We walked inside the main cathedral - wow. It's one of the most beautiful churches we have been in so far. We walked in during a service so I didn't take any pictures, but we will go back before we leave. We met Roger, Josef, and Peter in front of that church and they took us to a restaraunt overlooking the entire valley. They had reserved a table to ensure we had the best view while we ate! The view was fantastic - we could see Lake Constance in the distance - and the food was amazing! I had cordon bleu, made with St. Gallen cheese, and Zach had a huge hunk of lamb. We had the St. Gallen beer, Schutzengarten, and a nice cabernet also. After our long, European dinner we headed back down the mountain to their favorite place, Tres Amigos, for some margaritas. Not exactly the type of margarita I had expected, but there were delicious; a frozen mango maracuya (passionflower) margarita. We met the owner, David, who is from the Gulf of Mexico and then we surprised Zach's dad by calling him and passing the phone around the table. It was a fun end to a lovely beginning in Switzerland.

Comments

1

I loved reading about yall's time with my good friend's in Switzerland. What a wonderful place and wonderful people. As the saying goes, "You make a Swiss friend and you have a friend for life" I Know because I have experienced that and I am glad Zach and Mackenzie are too. Love Yall, Daddy

  Spike R. Buie Jul 9, 2010 12:51 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.