Existing Member?

A Hop, Skip, and an Ocean Away

This Place is Growing on Us

BELGIUM | Friday, 11 June 2010 | Views [326]

It's Friday and it's the first sunny day since Monday. It's absolutely gorgeous here when the buildings and fields are bathed in sunshine.

Bois le Comte is growing on us a little more each day. The meals are actually quite delicious - maybe we are just ravenous from working outside all day - and we have the opportunity to try a lot of new foods. I do still dream about queso though... We've even joked about buying some of the Orval cheese from the monastary and melting it in a pot in the kitchen... I don't think it would be quite the same. There are a few new volunteers now: Adam the Aussie, Karen the Hollander, and Dominic the Belgian. Simone, originally from California, (though she left the US a long time ago) is the chef and her British boyfriend, Alistair, is also volunteering. Everyone has made our stay much more than tolerable; it's been a pleasure to work alongside them. Of course, they all have their own stories. Simone and Alistair live in India and are trying to start a macrobiotic restaurant there. Adam has been on holiday for the last 6 months - mainly in India and Nepal - and is working here for a few weeks before working on a music festival in northern Belgium. Karen is from the Netherlands and has volunteered here before. She likes to come down here from time to time. Dominic is from Antwerp and is the comic relief. He has the greatest personality. He is constantly giggling and smiling, even while weeding! Dominic also provides us with a lot of insight into Belgian culture. Last night we sat up after dinner on the porch drinking Belgian beer and discussing everything - life, politics, religion, farming, food, etc. It was really one of the defining experiences of this trip so far.

P.S. - Captions on the photos will soon arrive. We get the internet so sparingly that we try to use it for our priorities - like finding places to stay in Amsterdam, etc. So hopefully they aren't too confusing to decipher without captions... :)

 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.