Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Kilimanjaro – There and back again – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 28 October 2015 | Views [584]

Summit

Summit

I have learnt so much that I don’t really know where to start.  I have been totally touched by the amount of support I have received, blown away at the sponsorship currently standing at £5170 and shattered, absolutely shattered.

What was it like?

BRUTAL

Is the word which sprang to mind and still seems best to describe it for me.

It was an amazing experience, climbing to the roof of Africa, through five diverse climate zones and seeing the most amazing sights. Not to mention getting to experience high altitude and the effects it had on my body.

I thought I would write this summary blog and then a few more in detail in the future

No one thing led me feeling like it was an endurance event, a combination of;

  • Long days hiking, often getting to camp in the dark and  sometimes starting the day in the dark

  • Not sleeping due to the cold.

  • Lack of sleep due to toilet trips from the amount of water I was consuming (4-5 litres a day) and Diamox (altitude drugs) which is a diuretic.

  •  Altitude meaning I felt like having a massive hangover, headache, Nauseas, loss of appetite.

  • Digging deep each day, from about day three, just in order to keep going.

  • Nose bleeds.

And then there was summit night. What it was all for, the biggest challenge of my life so far.

This was the chance to put the dream / vision, planning / training, mental strength / focus to the test, whilst watching the total lunar solar eclipse during the nine and a half hours midnight summit night attempt, all of which was taking place at  -10 degrees.

I was determined not to let you all down, not to let Somerset Area Cruse Bereavement down and not to let myself down. I was confident in my mindset and my preparation and what became more evident during the challenge, was that I was prepared. The question was would my body make it or would the effects of altitude be too powerful?

My body clearly did, despite a big nose bleed at about 4am on summit night. The effect this challenge has had, coupled with a very young family to arrive home too, means I have never been happier than being at home, in front of the fire writing this.

Being met at the airport as a surprise by Tracey with my Mum and Dad nearly brought a tear to my eye, hiding behind Tracey to collect Ollie from school and the hug he gave me did.

https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/

Tags: challenge, charity, frustration, hard work, killimanjaro, panic, panic, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.