Existing Member?

Stumbling Along After a few years or travelling and then a couple years of settling down in Sweden, I'm back on the road. 7 mths or maybe forever, in South Africa, the Seychelles, India, Nepal, SE Asia...

A Penny for the Poor

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 12 February 2008 | Views [1318] | Comments [1]

Well, well well...I can't help but to laugh at my current financial situation. Actually, I can't help but to laugh at my situation all around.

I have a whopping 255 AUD to my name a maxed out credit card with a balance of 4,200 on it (US) and another one with 300US... I also have dipped into my overdrawal on my us checking account ot pay off the $200 bill on my card.

Should I be panicked...Of Course...Am i panicked..a bit.But hey, at least i'm a divemaster.

So since i last wrote, things were good in Phi Phi, I finished my DMT and survived my snorkel test, though it ended with me spewing in an ally and being taken home on a trolly. But i survived nonetheless and traditions must be upheld.

I tried to find work as a DM, Phi Phi Scuba screwed me over, b/c they don't hire their DMT (unless you want to work for free) and there was really no work going on the island. I did a brief 3 day stint selling dives for island divers (not as bad as I heard) but then got wind of a Dm position at Scool divers.

Scool is the newest and one of the smalles dive shops on the island. It is thai owned and run, which is nice an the people were cool . but unfortunatley, there was little work. So going out of my mind one day, thinking how it sucks not to be diving and not to making money and wondering why i was still on Phi Phi, I called the airline. And unlike the million times i called before, they actually had a flight out on the 12th.

I was soooooo happy. I could get a whole other week in Sydney to start making some money back. I was sad, b/c i would have to leave Jimmy  (swedish boy i had been dating behind...he is waiting for his visa for australia to go through).

So I decided to book a 25 hour bus to singapore tosave money, but of course, it was Chinese new years, so the price was double. But whatever, the cheapest flights was 7,000 baht (more than 200 dollars). I left on the tenth to head to Krabi an when I got to the pier in Krabi, i realized that I didn't know where my passport was. I called Jimmy and Judith, my ex roomate and she foundit ina drawer in our old room. Shit!!!!!

My bus was leaving in five minutes,and it was the last bus and my  only chance to make it to singapore in time for my flight. I was in  a panick. Jimmy got Gop (the thai lady that ran Phi PHi Scuba) to give the passport to the captian of the afternoon ferry. that meant that I wouldn't get it until 4pm that afternoon.

I checked  (and had several people back in Phi Phi check) for any flights trains or anything that could get me to Singapore in time. The only thing was a flight from Phuket that would cost 10,300 baht (350dollars). Seeing as i was dead broke I prayed for another option. For a while it looked like that was it. But after wondering Krabitown for 45 minutes, I found an internet cafe that actually had Skype that worked. I managed to call SIngapore airlines with my last dollar of credit and after 20 minutes on hold found out that there was one seat on the flight leaving the 13. the next flight would be on the 29th!

Great, I booked it and shelled out another 2,300 baht for another bus to singapore. I got a room at the travel agency and stayed in reading the rest of the night, trying not to think about the money i lost and focus on how lucky i was to get the next flight.

The next day at 11 i left on a cramped minibus to penang. 8 hours later, i was swtiched to a "proper" bus to sit out the rest of the ride. I was so exhausted from the stress of the night before and tired from lugging my heaving backpack PLUS all my dive equipment. And of course, the bus was freeezing cold and i got the only broken seat.

Whatever though, just happy to be on my way. At about midnight, the bus broke down and it broke down a couple more times later. Somehow, though, we made to Singapore by 9:30am. I should be happy to be early, but seeing as my flight doesn't leave for 14 more hours, I'm less than enthused.

So now i'm at the airport writing this, applying for everyjob available hoping to be working by the 14th. If not...well let's not think of it that way.

I have my old room back in Marrickville where i can stay for free until i get on my feet and I have emailed all the agency's i registered with and told them i was up for anything available. I have an interview on the 14th with another agency and will do some walking around handing out CVs if i don't hear anytings.

I have faith in my employability and I'msure I'll find a job. I just want finally get back on my feet financially and start saving up and paying off the credit cards. I still plan on heading to france in april to make some real money on the boats. But since i found out i can get another year visa for australia, we'll see.

Well that's it for now. I'll keep you posted and try and get some picturesup if the OZ comps can read my memory card.

Tags: Budgets & money

Comments

1

You could always go back to DET Int....!!!


  Bri Feb 13, 2008 7:02 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.