Existing Member?

Stumbling Along After a few years or travelling and then a couple years of settling down in Sweden, I'm back on the road. 7 mths or maybe forever, in South Africa, the Seychelles, India, Nepal, SE Asia...

Exams and Snorkel Tests

THAILAND | Thursday, 20 December 2007 | Views [689]

Yesterday, I passed my first 3 exams. They were fairly easy, but it's still a good feeling. The next two exams, physics and physiology, should be a bit more difficult. But it can't all be fun I suppose.

But i have to be honest. It hasn't been all work and studying. I have been enjoying some nights out, I went cliff jumping a few days ago on my day off, and two nights ago was a big night on the island...SNORKELFEST!

When a DMT (Divemaster Trainee) finishes their traineeship and becomes a DM, they have to pass one final test, a rite of passage that every DM has had to go through to enter the ranks of dive professional...THE SNORKEL TEST. A snorkel test is when you drink an entire bucket (pint of rum or whiskwy, a red bull and a can of soda through a funnel attached to the end of a snorkel. It's the divers' version of a beer bong. Well we had 4 people doing theirs in one night, so it was a big night indeed. Everyone from Phi PhiScuba was there along with most of the other DMs and Instructors from the other shops on the isalnd. The participants got absolutely wasted, but e else. Butthen again so did pretty much everyone else. I was feeling a bit sick (had a mild fever that afternono)and was working, so i stayed sober. After 12:00 or so, everyone headed down to Carlitos on the beach for some more drinking and dancing. It was a great night, and I have lots of funny pictures.

Well that is about all for now. THere is more, but too much to write about and I need to head home for a nap (still feeling pretty crappy). But i shall write again soon and tell you about my first Thai Christmas.

Oh and not to alarm you, but there have been predictions of a Tsunami on the 23rd, so everyone (mostly the locals) are in a bit of a panic. I don't think it will happen, but if it does, at least everyone will be prepared. So cross you're fingers!

Tags: Party time

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.