Existing Member?

Stumbling Along After a few years or travelling and then a couple years of settling down in Sweden, I'm back on the road. 7 mths or maybe forever, in South Africa, the Seychelles, India, Nepal, SE Asia...

Might move to Koh Phi Phi

THAILAND | Friday, 30 November 2007 | Views [987] | Comments [1]

Well, well, well. My former hell has become heaven, and I'm not sure I can leave.

Since i last wrote, I have been having a really good time in Phi Phi. A few nights ago, I ran into the really nice indian-English guy from the FMP and went out with him and an irish friend he ahd met travelling. It was nice to have some company, since I have been mostly alone in Phi Phi. However, I had to be at the dive shop at 7:30am to do my first day of actual diving, so i wasn't gonig to have a big night. Anyway, I'm a bit over the island party scene, and the one on Phi Phi is especially bad. 

So, we went out for a couple beers to Raggae Bar. It's  one of the main bars on the island and has a Thai Boxing ring the middle. the fights were obviously staged, but  "Amateur Boxing" was hilarious. THey offer a free bucket to anyone who will get in the ring, so the there were two really funny fights featuring drunken tourists beating the crap out of eachother (only in thailand!).

The next day, I started my actual diving. My love nest was cramped by an american couple who joined my group. But all in all it was truly an amazing time. The girl from the couple had a panic attack at the start of the first dive, so we had to take her back to the boat. But after that it was great. I thought I would be scared, and it is a bit scary int he open water when all you can see is blue. But when we got to the reefs, all the fear was forgotten. Swimming around with all the fish is the best feeling. And being so deep in the water and seeing what is further down, and feeling (and being treated) like one of the fish is the best feeling.

Today I completed my last 2 dives (four total). In all, I saw: hundreds of different ropical fish, including Nemos, Lionfish, trumpetfish, puffers, as well as octopuses, giant sea turtles (the highlight), eals and the most amazing and colorful corals.

I loved it so much, that I really want to do my advanced course. But it will cost another 300 dollars. Which i don't have. But I am considering getting a job in the bar above the diveshop or somewhere else in town. After exploring the island (did I mention they filmed the beach here) and  seeing the more calm and beautiful side of things, I really want to stay for a while. But I am nervous about money. I would be making A LOT more in australia and not having to pay for accomodation. Here I will probably end up breaking even (not including the dive course). I don't know. I have to take my final exam for the open water course and then talk to henry about the job, the wages etc.

We'll see what happens. But either way, I am excited!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Hey im just wondering is phi phi island good for somebody going over on there own?

  Dan Jan 24, 2008 11:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.