Existing Member?

Stumbling Along After a few years or travelling and then a couple years of settling down in Sweden, I'm back on the road. 7 mths or maybe forever, in South Africa, the Seychelles, India, Nepal, SE Asia...

One man's heaven is another man's hell

THAILAND | Wednesday, 28 November 2007 | Views [1420]

I realized tonight that I hate the world. That may seem dramatic, but it's true. Okay,I  don't so much hate the world as the people in it. Especially those in   Ao Ton Sai in Koh Phi Phi(not to be confused with Krabi's Ton Sai in which i adore not only the scenery, but the people as well.) It's filled with bad spikey hair, expensive sunglasses and the words Billabong across everyone's ass. The backpacks here are twice as large, though the clothes are three times as small.

Well, anyway. The ride over was much smoother than the last time i swapped sides. The night ferry was crowded, but no pole between my legs and the lay over was at a nice little place where we watched Spiderman 3 and enjoyed the world's smallest cup of tea and watched some of the world's largest cockroaches scurry across the linolium. 

As a result of a panic about  money (a reoccuring theme) and wanting to just get my diving finished before i was broke, I decided to go to Koh Phi Phi before Koh Lanta. The diving in Phi Phi is about 2,000 baht cheaper, and a lot better, I figured why not.

What i didn't calculate is the amount of money I would spend on accommodation and the amount I will spend on ear plugs for the next couple nights. The only affordable accomdation in the village is a dorm that was booked and everything was full besides room ranging from 800-2,500 baht. Seeing as I have ye tto pay more than 250b for a room this was a bit of a shock. I wondered around lugging my bag for ages in the noontime heat, and ended up settling on a dump in the hills (my  mind was clouded by thirst, hunger and exhaustion). It is 400baht and has en suite bathroom(the cheapest in this area) but I have a few complaints. 1.there isno mosquito net and no screen on the window. That means scary scary bugs. 2. It is down a really dodgy dirt path. That means there could be dogs. And since the temple dog nibbled my leg I am truly petrified of dogs here, which sucks, b/c they can sense that and make it a point to growl. 3. it is near a muay thai thai boxing ring, so i t will get loud soon. And that is about it for the complaints. but one and two hit on 2 out of my top 4 fears (bugs, now dogs, a growing fear of really blonde people (the scandavians are weirded me out though they are some of the coolest people i've met...it's just not natural to be so blonde) and underwater creatures (hopefully alleviated after tomorrows diving)

But anyway. I know I seem very whiney at the moment, and in other circumstances, none of this would phase me. i think I'm just not cut out for this beach stuff. I know I must be the only person to feel like this. But there is nothing to do here but party and lie out. Due to the naturally-beautiful, chocolaty-brown color of my skin, I don't really need or like to lie out and soke up the UVA/UVBs. And i am too low on cash to do much else. I plan on just spending some time wondering around and exploring. But the beach people here, I just don't get. I miss the more interesting, chilled-out types from up north.

I think i'm just in the wrong part though. On long beach it seemed much more laid back. The beach there is absolutely stunning and the there were hardly any other people around. Blue Blue Blue was the water...white white white was the sand...Bondi will be a big let down after this. But alas, the diving course I want to do is here in stinky old ton sai, and it would be another 200b a day to get back and forth. In addition, the course they offer here is the SSI which is about 1,000b cheaper. But no complaints. I'm on the beach in thailand...enjoying life! 

But i think it will go better after tomorrow. I am getting up early to see if i  can snag some better accommodation and can't wait to start diving.

Well night all,i'm off to grab a chang and lie in my bug filled room :) and do my diving homework (yeah i know, homework even before the first day). Don't let the complaining fool you, still having a great time. Life - and vacation - is a series of expansions and contractions a clever glacier guide once told me. So i must contract to expand. Hopefully the contraction doesn't involve bites from 4 or 8 legged creatures.

Tags: I should have known better!

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.