Existing Member?

Stumbling Along After a few years or travelling and then a couple years of settling down in Sweden, I'm back on the road. 7 mths or maybe forever, in South Africa, the Seychelles, India, Nepal, SE Asia...

Rabies

THAILAND | Friday, 9 November 2007 | Views [1010]

I thought that the highlight of today would be the bike ride with ome peope I had met at the guesthouse (John (Aussie), Jenni (English) and Antoine (French, living in Oz). But i was mistaken. I will always remember the today as the day that i might have contracted rabies.

The bike ride was going along great, but at one of the temples we stopped to look in, I was attacked by a dog (who was luckily muzzled)>. I am not exaggerating when I say that was the most scared that I have ever been. It came charging at me and then a few other dogs joined in the. I did everything I said I never would. I stumbled and fell and the scream that came out of my mouth was the most girly and high-pitched scream I have ever heard. I have to say I am very disappointed in my performance. I think I would only last about 4 minutes in a scary movie (though being black I'd be the first to go anyway:).

Since the dog was muzzled the bite wasn't bad. I got it cleaned up at a Red Cross that was just down the road, and an expat who was giving blood suggested that instead of getting a shot, I should check with the monks about the health of the dog.

The monks said that the dog was not sick and that it had a history of biting foreigners (hence the muzzle). I decided to go to the hospital anyway and see what the doctor had to say. He of course suggested 5 rabies vaccinations and one other shot, another tetanus (though i had one about a month ago) and a round of antibiotics. The total cost would have been around 700 AUD and I would have to spend the rest of my vacation tracking down hospitals to get my shots. I told him I'd think about it and come back.


We got on the bikes and headed to this really nice park. we had some lunch and relaxed in the sun. I consulted my travelmates for advice about the shots, and after finding out that no one who has shown syptoms of rabies has ever survived, I figured better safe than sorry. Anyway, I could put it on my credit card and my  AMAZING WORLD NOMADS INSURANCE would cover it.

So we headed back to the guesthouse and they told me of a hospital that was closer by. Antione volunteered to go with me, and stayed with me the whole time, which I am really thankful for.The doctor there said I would only need the set of 5 vaccines and antibiotics. I got the first dose (and cried of course)and they handed me 5 days of antibiotics and a few painkillers. In the end this place only charged me about 30 bucks!

We headed back and that night we went to a night market (I'll slip in that last night John and I saw a really great Thaiboxing fight)and had a few drinks at a really small bar. It was appropriately named Tiny Bar, and the owner, who was from about 30 minutes from where I was born in Kansas and his Thai wife were really great. The bar was mostly locals (thai and expats) and it was a nice change to all the backpackers. Antione and I had a few drinks, a few laughs especially when a baby elephant walked by, and then headed home.

Tomorrow I will take it easy and I think head to Pai the next day.

Tags: Doctors, hospitals & health

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.