Existing Member?

Trippin' Around

All the way to Aberdeen

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 17 April 2008 | Views [700]

EmJ and I headed out to Aberdeen this last Monday - and we where lucky enough to have a day of fair weather (fair for Aberdeen meaning it only rained for two minutes the entire time we where there!).

It took us about two and a half to three hours each way, but that was okay - we enjoyed getting to see more of Scotland as we really have been pretty much stuck on the ranch and in Dundee (which isn't much of a tourist destination!) since we arrived. That's been our own choice though - we are planning to see Glasgow, Edinburgh and Arboarth as well when we get the time.

So Aberdeen: we enjoyed the gothic-ness of the city - there where castle-like buildings everywhere - they were really pretty. Plus, we were surprised that although the city felt old like London - there was more a sense of perminance, as if everything was built to stay that way, rather than changing with the times like London seems to do. I also found it interesting that there weren't really any allyways - the 'allyways' were really too big, too clean and too well lit to be allywayish; they where more streetish.

We visited the Aberdeen Art Gallery (it was modern art, so we didn't stay too long), St. Nicholas' Kirkyard (a really cool, really anchient graveyard and church - there were grave stones every which way - they were part of the walls, part of the grounds, part of the paths we walked on; it was a very somber, a very old mis-mash of memories) - there where kind of creepy characters hanging out there (I mean - who randomly visits graveyards?? >.>) so EmJ and I wandered out again and said "Right - now we know where to go to get drugs in Aberdeen!", plus we also saw a monument to William Wallace and a few other bits and pieces. Other then that, we got to see the Scottish sea (on the bus up and down), sleep and shop.

Hmm - not much else to note: horses are fun as usual - I'm developing an understanding with Gringo, who is a very interesting Chestnut that likes to bite and generally boss you about. Of course I'm like - *does the head/finger thing* "Uh-uh - no you didn't!", so we working on the whole "b. boss - Gringo not" thing - lots of fun!

Sunshine has been beautiful - I think Scotland is awesome - did you know that the daffodils practically grow wild here? As in, they do get in the oddest places - all over the verges, the lawns and in the park grasses - I reckon it's so cool.

Saynara for now, b.

Tags: aberdeen, daffodils

About tinka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.