Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Days 65 & 66

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 21 August 2011 | Views [537]

The beautiful Tweed Valley.

The beautiful Tweed Valley.

It was a short drive from Brisbane to Tallebudgera Creek caravan park but with some very heavy traffic at times - four lanes and all absolutely full and going full pelt. We have become accustomed to country roads and towns not to mention Adelaide traffic so find all this a bit of a shock. Everyone around us in the park was very welcoming with advise on what to do which seems to be a common feature of caravan parks. We went to Robina Town Centre looking for a fabric shop recommended by my niece Sharon and also stocked up for the trip home. John decided to watch the Crows match on the TV while I went to Southport to another fabric store which I found on the internet and where I managed to buy two excellent pieces of cotton fabric to make up when I get home. I then did a quick wander around the Brickwork market which looked interesting and definitely catered for the Latte set. After a quick change we then went to Sharon and John's for dinner and had a great night with Kevin and Julie also there along with Sharon's friend Lorraine and her partner Michael.

Today we had heavy rain for the first time apart from when driving the van out of Cairns. It rained heavily overnight and has done so frequently during today. This didn't interfere with our plans as we were taking Julie's recommendation to visit Murwillimbah and go to the Tweed River Gallery where they have an exhibition of the finalists for the Archibald Portrait Prize. The drive took us through the Tweed valley which is another beautiful part of Australia to visit and the gallery itself was in a wonderful location. As it was Sunday the gallery was packed but it was well worth putting up with the crowd to see the works displayed. An interesting collection of people were there and I enjoyed observing them too! We had lunch at the Gallery Cafe and then drove back to the park with a slight detour caused by the GPS not being up to date with all the road works but it took us along the seafront at Tweed Heads which was much more interesting than the direct route. The surf was really up today and there were groups of surfers out on their boards. This evening the rain was so heavy that we couldn't hear most for Grand Designs. Tomorrow we start the trek home!!!

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.