Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 31

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 July 2011 | Views [200]

We were a little apprehensive about our trip today from Cloncurry to Karumba as we had heard varying reports about the condition of the road. The first half to the Burke and Wills roadhouse was excellent but unfortunately when I was driving (CW) the road was not so good. There were quite a few large potholes, caused by flooding in the wet, and also long sections where the road was only wide enough for one vehicle, so you have to go off onto the dirt verge which causes lots of dust, making it difficult to see. When we arrived in Karumba we were told all three caravan parks were full but I decided to check at the one recommended by a former park neighbour. They didn't have room but said that the servo down the road might take us in. He did and it has turned out to be the best place to be but actually only setting up to start next year. There is only one other van here, we have power and the wildlife around is amazing. Wallabies, water birds, eagles, a kite nesting in the gum tree behind us and I even saw a pair of kingfishers. We were recommended to visit the Tavern down the road for the best sunset view and it was very good. John had a beer while we chatted with our neighbours from the park and their friend who is staying in Karumba for 6 months. Although it was 32 degrees and sunny when we arrived, at the Tavern their was a sea breeze, great view and good company. We finished the night with a meal of Barra. Please, please send us some comments - we would love to hear from you all. We know somone is reading our journal so tell us what you think or what you have been up to.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.