Existing Member?

The Woodies Travel

Day 17

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 2 July 2011 | Views [272] | Comments [2]

This morning we visited the Katherine Museum which had a range of interesting material about people and events that happened in and around Katherine, including the fact that the town was bombed during the second world war, as well as Darwin. There was information related to my mother's extended family and I was able to buy two books that include information on her immediate family. After another quick shopping expedition and packing lunch at the van we headed out to Nitmiluk National Park to do the three gorges cruise at 1.00pm. (Near the landing area for the boats was a huge colony of bats as you will see in the photos.) This cruise involves short walks on well designed paths with only a little climbing stairs or rocks. It also allows 45 minutes for people to swim which we did not realise and we would probably have chosen a different cruise if we had. However, the scenery was ever changing with a variety of plants growing out of rocks due to water seeping down, sandy beaches where freshwater crocodiles lay their eggs and Rock faces with black streaks where water tumbles down during the wet season. Our guide, Rocky was an aboriginal from Townsville, who explained about the area and how the Jawoyn people used the gorge, its plants and he also told us some of their traditional stories. Tomorrow we are heading toward Darwin. 

Comments

1

Hi again - interesting that you found some books re your mum's family, well done!. Would love to see more photos with you or both of you in them, :) camera shy heh! You're a long way up now, it's amazing country and we look forward to following your footsteps in a couple of years. At least it will be to Alice next year, did some planning tonight with George & Lesley, will be booking Alice & Yulara next week. Alls well back here, mum is being very independent so we haven't been over to help her at all, she's had plenty of offers!! Keep enjoying yourselves xxx

  Anne & John Huggins Jul 3, 2011 12:49 AM

2

Hi Cinny & John, you are having an amazing time, and you are doing the travel that you want to do. You will never forget your adventures, especially keeping a blog of your holiday. We enjoy going away too, but we had 5 weeks away, time to come back again. We loved our walks etc. Now able to get treatment on my shoulder. Go to see about my finger in approx. 2 weeks time. Hope it can be fixed. Continue enjoying you travels to Darwin.

Cheers,

Jenny & Peter xx

  Woodie Juniors Jul 3, 2011 5:21 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.