Existing Member?

Fierce Invalids in Hot Climates Amber and Jerad chronicle their life-changing journey from Napa Valley wine snobs to globe-exploring vegabonds

Wild

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 2 February 2008 | Views [543] | Comments [2]

Jerad did a good job writing about New Zealand, I just thought I would blog about a thing or two.  It has been wild!  Just wild.  Living out of a van has been quite the experience.  All of the adrenaline seeking/adventure activities have been all that I could want them to be and more.  The cave-tubing was challenging for me, but I am truly happy I did it.  Sqeezing through wet, dark, cold caves and climbing up rushing waterfalls underground  for 5 hours was truly a once in a lifetime experience.  I will be alright if I don't do it again:).  Trekking the Tongrariro Alpine Crossing was fantastic.  Talk about views, pushing your self physically and fully feeling all of the many rewards.  It made me crave more such experiences, which I know we will have in Asia.  Zorbing was just awesome.  What a great invention, if only I could zorb as my mode of transportation.  Sandboarding was very fun, and man did you have to "dive right in".  Jerad and I were covered in sand from head to toe instantly.  We did pretty well.  I went super fast down on my belly, while Jerad had more control and even stood up.  All in all it has been a great time here, though we are looking forward to our stay in a hostel in Australia.  I had a nasty cough that has been keeping myself and my poor honey up at night, but am getting better and was able to sleep last night. Living out of the van has been just a few days/nights too long, although it has been a good experience to "feel homeless" and truly budget travel.  Missing you all back home and we will try to blog sooner this time.  Much love.

Happily,

Amber Allison 

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

I just saw a commercial with the "zorbing" thing! How cool are you! We miss you! Mom

  Julie Zamboldi Feb 2, 2008 10:39 AM

2

Hey there world travelers! I am so envious of your adventures around the world. It looks and sounds like you are truly having a great time so far. The pictures are
both beautiful and humorous. I think I would have liked the Zorbing and sand surfing (although I would probably have only been able to go down on my belly too).
I hope things settle down in Kenya by the time you are
scheduled to land there. So far (as I imagine you've
already heard) they have just gotten worse.

Wishing you both more wonderful adventures,
Stay safe
Love Traci

  Traci Stanton Feb 4, 2008 6:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.