Existing Member?

The Adventures of Whales 4 1/2 months with a newly wed couple in Southeast Asia Jan 9th 07 to May 17th 07

Into Malaysia

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 3 February 2007 | Views [638]

 
Thats a little crab in her hand
 
 So we have skipped a few days of writing, but that is due to the expense of the Internet at our last location and the couple of days of traveling.
 
  In Trang we had a travel agent convince us to go to Kho Lipe, an absolutely beautiful island with white sand on the beaches that feels like baking flour. But that will be the last time we do anything through a travel agent in Asia. The trip from Trang to Lipe took just as long and cost twice as much as if we would have done it ourselves. Booking with the agent was only a 40 dollar mistake, but in Asia that's 4 days of traveling. Lipe was great though, we got to snorkel above coral right off the beach, we ate cheese burgers and slepped in the nicest room yet. But Danielle and I received glorious red backs from the sun while snorkeling, and the prices on Lipe is ment for the vacationer, so we had to leave after a few days.
 
  Yesterday we spent 14 hours traveling from Lipe to Penang-Georgetown, that was an exhausting mixture of boats, taxi's and packed mini buses. But we did get to eat at the all American restaurant KFC in Hat Yai.
  After 14 hours of traveling moods are on edge and lack of food and sleep exaggerates the cynic in every one. And unfortunately the guide book that I decided to travel to Asia with, is full of all the best slums better suited for killing some one in than taking a crap in the toilet. After looking at a few places we found one place that looked as though we would live through the night. We left there early this morning and found a very descent place today.
 
 George Town was the first British settlement in Malaysia, but lost popularity after some time for the more strategically located Singapore. So while Singapore was laid to waist in WWII, George Towns colonial styled architecture remained unscathed. With the mix of Muslim, Hindu, and Chinese it is supposed to be an interesting city to explore. So that is what we will be doing today.
 
Thanks to all of you for the e-mails that keep us feeling like we are still at home.
 
Love E&D 
Ps There are some new pic's added to Khao Sok along with Lipe, and Penang  
 

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.