Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

More Jungle adventures

BELIZE | Sunday, 9 January 2011 | Views [341]

The Jungle was calling once again, so loud that it caused us to rise before dawn to catch the hokey pokey taxi and the bus to the Cockscomb Wildlife Management reserve. THis reserve is just north of Placencia about a 45 minute bus ride. The morning light was just breaking as we got to the water taxi and we saw lots of wading birds on the quick trip to INdependence. Once there and off the bus we were greeted to the wild sounds of the jungle, it is 8 miles off the main road but we were still able to hear the wildlife teaming within the jungle. We negotiated our ride with Julio after he assured us he would return around 4 to pick us up. The jungle is so mysterious, and we were warned about the wild pigs and poisonous snakes before going out on our own. We opted to not pay for a tour but had we done so we would have gone with Julio, he has worked as an independent guide for about 7 years and knows quite abit about the wildlife in the area. OF course part of the mystery of the Jungle is the possibility that we would see the Jaguar. The reserve was set aside in the 80's to assure that the jaguar survives. TO date there are approximately 70 that are known to stay within the reserve. This meant if we were lucky we would experience an encounter. As we treked into the jungle we noticed there were many tracks and trails left by wildlife and lots of noises in the jungle that caused us to stop and pause. The wildlife santcuary is rich in life and teeming all about, this created an energy vibe that gave us a slight hint at what lay within. We trekked up to the summeit Ben's lookout and enjoyed the huge panorama of the entire cockscomb basin. The climb was very steep but elelvation was only around 2,000 ft, problem was it all happened with in 1mile!

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.