Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

Kathmandu and internet woes

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 2 June 2009 | Views [556] | Comments [6]

We've been having an amazing time in Kathmandu, visited our friend's family's villages, visited some amazing temples and monasteries, and just over all have really been enjoying ourselves and meeting really great people.  We've stayed a bit longer than we planned, and actually bought a bus ticket for this morning to go to Pokhara to start trekking, but we had to delay one more day because there is a nation-wide strike and no transportation.  But supposedly we're all set to go tomorrow, so tonight I went on the interweb with the intention of uploading videos and photos (and a pseudo-vlog), but the Silver Home Hotel is clever and I can't connect my laptop to the ethernet cable nor plug in my usb flashdrive.  SO, the super awesome photos and videos will have to wait.  I'm leaving my laptop in storage in Kathmandu but bringing the flashdrive to Pokhara, so if I find fast internet I'll try again there, if not it will just have to wait a few weeks...

Okay, this was pretty much the most fascinating, culturally-insightful blog entry I've ever written, no?

Comments

1

Just checking....hope you are doing well and continuing to have a wonderful adventure.
gail

  gail Jun 19, 2009 3:02 PM

2

Hi Gail and everyone.
Here's a summary of Sylvia's phone calls so you know what she's been up to. Don't want to spoil the surprises you'll read about in her next blog, but also wanted all to know that they are safe and sound.
On Sunday June 14 Sylvia's phone message was that they had been trekking for 5 days and have decided to trek for another 10 days to Annapurna Base Camp. (Gulp) "Don't worry about me."
On Sat. June 20: "Hey Mom and Dad. It’s Sylvlia! I’m done trekking! It was really amazing and beautiful. We went up to Annapurna Base Camp. It was very hardcore. [the base camp is 13,500 ft above sea level] And we saw all of the millions of(inaudible)...and we’re really tired. Just wanted to let you know we made it and we’re back in (inaudible)in a nice clean hotel and not in the wilderness."

  sylvia mom Jun 24, 2009 1:15 AM

3

Hey Sylvia,

Finally catching up on all your blogging (AND photos)...I'm running out of adjectives to type(with several exclamation marks)about the amazing adventure you are on. You sound/look wonderful and I love the humor you keep interjecting at choice moments in your blogs. Thanks to your Mom for giving us the updates with your trekking. Must've been hard breathing at 13,500 ft! (I once hiked outside of Aspen to 11,500 feet and was gasping for breath along the way(and that was when I was in GOOD shape!). Glad you are safe and sound.... Love, Aunt Lynn

  Aunt Lynn Jun 25, 2009 5:09 AM

4

Eagerly awaiting your next update!

  andi Jul 6, 2009 9:50 AM

5

Well you dont know me , I started readingthis becuase I live in capetown in South Africa and liked the way you started out your blog and I see that you have really matured into s easoned traveller now . Well done !

  Ricky Goodhead Jul 20, 2009 10:06 PM

6

Just checking...
It may be that there are internet problems or our journalist decided to taked a break. :-)
Thanks to Mom for the update!
Gail

  Gail Jul 25, 2009 4:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.