Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

Swakupmund and stuff

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 10 October 2008 | Views [997] | Comments [4]

Woohoo, overland camping trip!  It seems that I can’t get away from civilization for too long, I’m sitting in a strange little Namibian town in the middle of the Namib desert called Swakupmund, at a fancy internet café with wireless internet in a fancy mall with awful soft rock coming out of the fancy overhead speakers.  I feel slightly uncomfortable being surrounded by familiar mall sights and sounds (I’m not particularly fond of malls…). But, at least I get to update my blog…

So I know before I was babbling on about not wanting a European vacation, wanting to see the real Africa, etc., etc.  Then I hopped on a truck with 6 Brits, 1 Scotsman, 1 German, 1 Yugoslavian via Canada, 8 Australians, Michelle my fellow American, and a Tasmanian tour leader and Kenyan driver.  So rather than having a European vacation, I’m having a European’s/Australian’s vacation (possessive apostrophe ‘s’ …).  And you know what, it’s a good time!  Overlanding in Africa is a huge industry, every campsite we’ve stayed at has had at least one other big truck filled with Europeans, Australians, and New Zealanders.  So far we’re the only Americans we’ve met…and last night I got my first real taste of anti-American sentiments.  Actually, it was harmless, but it made me feel sad about my nationality. After a big group dinner a few of us went to some swanky bars, and I met a white Namibian and a white South African.  The Namibian guy immediately heard my accent and said, “You’re American!” with a touch of disgust (granted, he was drinking and talking out of his arse).  Then the three of us got into a conversation about why Americans are so hated, he told me he was surprised I hadn’t come across more animosity, and the South African girl told me a story about when she was living in Paris in the ‘80s and a black man started throwing bottles at her, solely because she was South African and despite the fact that she was staunchly anti-Apartheid.  I told them I didn’t vote for Bush, half the country didn’t vote for Bush, she said the U.S. is the world power and everyone is just going to hate whoever is the world power.  Then Toby, my German friend on the trip, said to me, “What are they talking about, don’t listen to them, we’re all just people!”  And I said, “Oh, Toby, that’s so sweet.  I have American guilt, I bet you can relate, do you have German guilt?”  And he said, “No.  Why?”  And I said, “World War II?”  And he said, “No.”  And I said, “Good for you.”  But I might seriously start telling strangers I’m Canadian.

Okay, on to nicer subjects.  The camping has been great, I absolutely love camping and this trip was my idea, but Michelle had never really camped and was a little wary.   But she’s been doing great!  And for the next 2 nights we’re all in a nice hostel here in weird segregated Swakupmund, so everyone gets a break from being dirty and sleeping on the ground.  Although to be fair, all our campsites have been really nice and safe with warm showers and lovely toilets.  It’s roughing it, but not too much...

Activities we’ve done on the trip so far:  Township Tour in Capetown, Watched the Sunset over the Fish River Canyon (second biggest canyon in the world next to the Grand Canyon), Sunrise over the Namib Desert, Climbed a Sand Dune in Namibia, Guided Bushwalk Tour (our tourguide was Japanese and has been living here for 10 years!), and here in Swakupmund it’s all about Adrenaline Sports!  Michelle and 3 other crazy people from our group went Skydiving today (I just took photos), and tomorrow we’re going Sand Boarding.  Then back on the truck.  If anyone’s interested in our itinerary, you can click here:

http://acaciaagent.travelobjects.co.uk/dossiers/CTK41%202008.pdf

Just if. Ooo, and I was finally able to upload the second part of our Vusweni movie on Youtube, go watch it!

Me (and a bunch of other tourists) on sand dune 45 at sunrise

Me (and a bunch of other tourists) on sand dune 45 at sunrise

Tags: overlanding, swakupmund

 

Comments

1

Any luck with male........... We all wonder ;D

  Mingzhu Oct 10, 2008 11:48 AM

2

Love the picture. Love the insightful story regarding anti-American sentiment. Love Sylvia being our amabassador all over the friggin' place.

  Melanie Oct 11, 2008 2:54 AM

3

Just talked to Michelle's mom. We've been suffering from blog withdrawal until now. Happens when we have nothing more to read about your journey. Your Swaziland blog has kept me going in the meantime. Great to see your pic, and haircut still looks good! Why don't you say you're Hawaiian?
Love,
Mom

  Sylvia mom Oct 11, 2008 4:47 AM

4

Awesome pic! I never got to see and picture book desert like that on my travels.

  Alistair Oct 12, 2008 12:28 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.