Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

Leaving Civilization

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 4 October 2008 | Views [820] | Comments [3]

The time has come to put away my laptop, get on a big truck, and co-exist with about 18 other people for the next 6 weeks.  We're starting our overland camping trip, which will take us through Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, and Kenya.  We had a pre-departure meeting last night, I was a little wary about how the rest of the group would pan out, but as usual, Michelle and I are extremely lucky and the other people are great.  The first girl we met was Jen, a cute fun Brit who just got her PhD in neuroscience.  Then my gaydar went off and lo and behold, Warren is sweet, fun, Australian, an emergency nurse, and gay.  Yep, happy.  There's a big range of ages on the trip, the one German guy is I think 24 and then there are a number of older married coupled probably in there 50s.  Pretty much everyone is British or Australian except us and the German, Toby. I think it should be a good time.  I should have some internet access when we stop at cities and such, but probably not too much. Signing off...

Tags: overland camping

Comments

1

Don't know which city you are in now when you can use internet again and see my message! Tara was showing me your new pics here every time I walked into her office, and she printed out 2 copies of your pic for both of us...

  mingzhu Oct 5, 2008 8:23 PM

2

Have a great time! I'm gonna miss reading your blogs - I must say you've been doing an admirable job of keeping it up to date (unlike a certain other someone....) The videos were great too. Just remember, lions are futher away than they sound at night, baboons can make it seem like every single species in Africa is outside your tent, and if you're charged by a hippo, try to jump over something cause they're not good at that. Oh, and watch out for ginormous spiders.

  Karen Oct 6, 2008 11:52 AM

3

Wow! I just came downstairs to check my emails from sept and oct and found your blog. You must be having a great adventure. I read the ficticious detective stories of the lady who drank red bush tea. She solved all kinds of strange cases in her own agency and it was very amusing. Now you are really there and seeing it first hand. How wonderful! Have a wonderful time . I enjoy your writing and pictures. Love, Aunt Debbie

  Aunt Debbie Oct 7, 2008 5:54 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.