Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

The bush and the park

SOUTH AFRICA | Wednesday, 15 October 2008 | Views [839] | Comments [4]

Since Swakupmund, we’ve camped out in the bush and in a game park in Nambibia.  We spent one night in Spitzkopf at a bushcamp (meaning no facilities, just us and nature) and 2 nights at the Etosha National Park.  Spitzkopf was absolutely amazing, the closest scenery I’ve seen that is similar was in Sedona, AZ.  Red rocks, amazing sunset, and desert all around. Our tour leader Becs, my Aussie mo Warren, our deutsche freund Toby, Michelle and I all decided to shun our tents and sleep out on the rocks under the stars.  It was gorgeous, amazing, brilliant…but hard to actually fall and stay asleep.  But a rough night was well worth the experience. 

We left Spitzkopf early the next day and drove to Etosha, one of Africa's best game reserves.  Lots and lots of wildlife!  We went on game drives yesterday and the day before, and saw lots of cool animals.  But the best part of the park was camping outside next to the fence where elephants and jackals and lions were passing by during the night, and the amazing floodlit watering hole right by our camp site.  Sitting on a bench watching a herd of elephants less than 20 feet away from me was one of the most surreal experiences of my life; it was a Discovery Channel program happening right before my eyes.  I’ll try to upload some of the video I took at the watering hole, but video just can’t do it justice.  We were extremely lucky the first night, there were over 20 elephants, 3 rhinos, 7 giraffes, lots of jackals, and 2 lions in the distance.  There was also a bit of tragedy, for some unknown reason one of the younger elephants had died right by the watering hole and the other elephants were trying to rouse it.  By the time I witnessed this I had already drunk a Sierra Dry (South African cider, mmmm so good), so I was in a particularly emotional state.  When I watched one of the larger elephants trying to get the dead one up on its feet while a baby elephant played around on it trying likewise to awaken it, I started crying (and Michelle started laughing at me).  With the aid of a little alcohol in me, I really felt like I was watching a human drama being played out by elephants.  Or maybe just an elephant drama…is it really necessary to anthropomorphize something in order to feel empathy for it?

But despite the sad scene, it was yet another amazing experience in Africa.  Tonight we are staying in a dorm in Windhoek, the capital of Namibia (hence the internet), before crossing the border tomorrow into Botswana.  May I highly recommend that everyone come to Africa at some point in their life?

elephants and an acacia tree at the watering hole in Etosha

elephants and an acacia tree at the watering hole in Etosha

Tags: etosha, spitzkopf

Comments

1

Wahoo! More blogs!
Discovery Channel in extreme HD!
Enjoy Botswana tomorrow.

  Sylvia mom Oct 15, 2008 3:19 AM

2

I would have cried at the baby elephant, too! That's why I can't really watch the Discovery channel. Whhhaaaaaaaa :( You don't have to blame it on the cider or pms. Empathy is beautiful.

Amazed to hear you actually had trouble sleeping. Never thought I'd see the day! :)




  Melanie Oct 17, 2008 12:51 AM

3

We can't watch an animal suffering either even if it's bringing gastronomic pleasure to another. We had a Kalij pheasant couple visit us regularly on their rounds. One day they showed up with two chicks, really cute. When they were adolescents, one chick disappeared for good and we were depressed for weeks. They still come around as a trio and wait at the bottom of our stairs. Keep trekking!

  Volcano Zen Oct 22, 2008 4:28 AM

4

Never, ever apologize for strong feelings and awareness of the fragility of our lives and the impact of loss!! You are such a good, caring soul and I am so so glad to know you!

  gail Oct 25, 2008 10:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.