Existing Member?

Tales of a red-soled climbing gypsy Follow me and together we will find the world #redsoledtraveler #talesofaredsoledclimbinggypsy

Bangkok self discoveries

THAILAND | Sunday, 10 January 2016 | Views [433]

Being in Bangkok for a few days gave me a look into some of my limits and some experiences that pushed me. I found that when places say an approximation of time to their property or how long it takes always expect 30 minutes more at least. 

After we all arrived and separated to our different accommodations, first and foremost I couldn't find a taxi that would head in the direction of my place. Finally a motorbike said he would take me. Yes! My first time riding a motorcycle. Granted it would have been a little easier if I didn't have to lug around the "beast" but such was life. Thinking it would be just a quick jaunt to the hotel and a fun experience, we managed to shove everything onto the bike. Well what thought to be a 10-15 minute ride turned into an hour and a half and the driver didn't know where the place was. Frazzled and ready to just get to my place and relax I walked in and checked in. To say that the pictures were an exaggeration was an understatement. The place was borderline horrific. Being able to touch both hands on each opposing wall, dirty linens and 0 housecleaning done, a ceiling that was about to rupture was to be my place of rest. 

Lesson 1. Time to and from places is far from accurate or even approximation.

Lesson 2. Just because it's cheap doesn't make it habitable nor was it acceptable for my standards. I am not a snob but this pushed my limits and made me realize why go so cheap if I've worked my butt off to be able to stay in remotely decent facilities. 

Thus being realized, and knowing that I couldnt find a new place for the night, I grinned and beared it. Negativity was not going to win. 

Lesson 3. Even in the most trying and being pushed to emotional limit, positivity is the one thing that you HAVE hold onto. Being angry, crying, giving up, or letting ones self doubt in and creating negative thoughts wouldn't make a situation better or create a new plan. 

The next day came and it was a new day of great times and experiences. First on the list was to find a better place to stay and get resettled in. That was done in a jiffy and I found the next days to be filled with blessings that surpassed any initial stresses. With a massage from a Thai professional and a little bit of pampering it ended on a bright note! Off to Nepal! 

Tags: bad hotels, lessons, motorbike first, thailand, travels

 

About sweetcheeks03


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.