Existing Member?

Tales of a red-soled climbing gypsy Follow me and together we will find the world #redsoledtraveler #talesofaredsoledclimbinggypsy

Realizations of what we take for granted

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 7 January 2016 | Views [443]

Exploring done, we headed to meet the kids from the local foundation that Dick helped fund. We headed out to lying Buddha and Town to give blessings and alms to the local town people. 

Meeting the kids was such a rewarding opportunity. The kids all coming from villages who wanted to learn. Some stayed in the children's dorms or others came from far villages. Each with a dream and a yearning to grasp any opportunity to make themselves better. One particular boy I met wanted to be a pilot. Through the bus ride he took me on as his appointed to lead around and show me the ropes. You could tell how much he enjoyed practicing his English and interacting with us. 
After giving alms, the highlight of the trip. The waterfall. Starting from a placid little creek to a roaring fall, crashing into the rocks below. Many of the kids were so excited but didn't know how To swim, so they blew up balloons and stuffed them under their shirts as flotation devices. 
For hours we splashed around, swam under the falls (or floated), jumped off rocks, and just monkeyed around enjoying each other's company. It was a perfect day filled with laughter and new founded friendships. Hauling ourselves back onto the buses we set out for home. The whole two hour trip I sat and talked to the young man and learned how humble and how excited he was to learn. It made my heart so warm and his acceptance and helpfulness towards me was so sweet. 
Saying goodbye for now was hard because I wanted so bad to sweep him back to the states and give him every opportunity that I knew of. The reality of such ideas are so easier said then done and make you ask yourself, "honestly, what could i really give him? Caring for another human is no light task, and the ability to make it happen almost impossible". So, i will instead communicate with him and cheer him on and do what I know I can to be a good role model and help him within my powers. 
The days seem to just roll into one. And the time Never seems long enough when you have so many activities and friends around you.
From the night markets and wandering the streets of multiple stalls of souvenirs, clothes, food, spices, and everything else you can imagine; great little hole in the wall restaurants; to art streets and the hubbub of local and tourist life melding; Cambodia was coming to an end. 
5 days in Cambodia and it was time to head back to Thailand where the group would split up after breakfast the following day. Some staying a little longer. Others back to their homes.  

Tags: blessings, english, kids with dreams, waterfalls

About sweetcheeks03


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.