Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

Education in Southeast Asia

THAILAND | Sunday, 16 September 2007 | Views [785]

If you have been following my trip, you know that I am currently living in Northern Thailand, teaching English at a private language school in the evenings. While I enjoy working at the school, what I find most rewarding is volunteering in the mornings at an adult education center geared towards Burmese migrant workers.
            Working with the Burmese has opened my eyes to the availability of education for many in Southeast Asia. While education is readily accessible for Thai’s who live in the cities, the same can not be said for refugees, residents of rural Thailand or people from the surrounding countries of Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Laos.
            Through word of mouth I came across an organization called PEPY http://pepyride.org/index.php, a non-profit group in Cambodia whose goal is “to improve educational opportunities in rural Cambodia, and offering unique adventures for those looking to give back while they travel”.  At Christmas break I hope to visit other parts of Southeast Asia with a group run by PEPY.  
            PEPY (Protect Earth, Protect Yourself) has organized many community based projects including building and maintaining schools in rural Cambodia, providing teacher training, and funding librarian training and literacy programs. Their schools offer classes that go over and beyond that required by the Cambodian government.  The disparity between urban and rural educations in this part of the world is astonishing. An urban male has access to approximately six years of schooling, while a rural female may only have access to two years of schooling. In a country where 78% of school children drop out before secondary school and 50% of the population is under 21 years old, PEPY offers incentives for students to stay in school by rewarding good attendance.  They are working to improve rural education through grassroots efforts.  
            I have decided to join a PEPY sponsored tour in December to learn more of what they do. It starts in Cambodia ’s capital Phnom-Pehn and continues on to Siem Reap. PEPY uses all local tour operators and focuses on providing opportunities to interact with locals while volunteering at different sites along the way. This includes two days at a PEPY school in rural Cambodia and a day at RDIC (Resource Development International Cambodia-which focuses on sustainable development programs).
            I am paying for all of my travel and volunteer expenses, but as part of my commitment to PEPY’s projects, I have pledged to raise additional funds.  This money will go toward the various educational programs that PEPY runs in rural Cambodia. I am writing to ask for your help in supporting their efforts.  No amount is too small, and every donation will make a visible difference in many children’s lives.  If you are able, please consider supporting PEPY.

PLEASE NOTE THAT 100% of DONATIONS GO TO PEPY RIDE NON-PROFIT.  I WILL PAY ALL OF MY EXPENSES RELATED TO MY PARTICIPATION. PEPY IS U.S. REGISTERD 501(c)3 CHARITIES AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO IT ARE FULLY TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

Donating by credit card is safe and easy by visiting http://www.firstgiving.com/pepyride . If you do choose to donate, please type “Steph H Dec 2007” in the comments line so that the PEPY team can keep track of the donations. 

            If you prefer to write a check, they are welcome as well. Please make out US checks to The PEPY Ride, 105 Schrade Rd, Briarcliff Manor, NY, 10510 (please put “Steph H Dec 2007” on the comments line).

I want to emphasize that you will not being paying for my trip, but rather joining me to help support this amazing organization.  I am extremely excited about this opportunity and feel very passionate about improving educational opportunities in rural Southeast Asia.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to e-mail me through the website.

I will be updating my travel journal complete with photos so you get a sense of what I have been up to and what we have been able to accomplish with your support!

Wishing you all happy travels,

Thanks,

Steph

Tags: tag your it

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.