Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

A Day for Suprises

THAILAND | Saturday, 6 October 2007 | Views [561] | Comments [1]

The Peace Protesting Party Crashers

The Peace Protesting Party Crashers

It was after 8 pm, and the march quickly became a jumble of emotions and thought to hard to separate. We needed to eat. One of our friends was Filipino and only in town for a few days. We decided that we would try the only Filipino restaurant in town - Mabuhay Restaurant- and jumped into a nearby tuk-tuk.

We entered the restaurant, and everyone was staring. Quite used to that phenomenon we didn’t think much about it at first, but soon we could tell we had just walked into some kind of celebration. Everyone appeared to be finished with their meals, a buffet was set up in the corner, and someone was playing songs on a keyboard. We asked if we could eat or if there was a private party, the women said something before disappearing into the back. Out came the owner of the restaurant. It turned out that is was her “6th tenth birthday” or 60th birthday, and we in our damp clothing, had just crashed the party.

She seemed quite unfazed by it all, and told us to eat, there was plenty of food left, and handed us each a plate. Someone else quickly cleared a table nearest the food, dance floor, and keyboard. We were in the center of everything. It was incredibly awkward, and our party crashing skills quickly became the butt of many jokes of the evening. But everyone there was incredibly gracious and welcoming.

Not only did we get to eat dinner for free, and have some wonderful birthday cake, but there was entertainment. Singing, dancing, funny stories in Thai, English, and Tagalog, and of course jokes about the birthday crashers kept everyone laughing. Before leaving, we exchanged e-mails, and one family insisted on giving us a ride to where we were going. We were treated to true Fillipino hospitality, and it was wonderful!

Tags: non-tag

Comments

1

My computer is resisting subscription to your feeds, but in the process I've found some new posts I'd never seen. This is one. Did you stay in touch with these folks? The family we met in France sent us a big box of different kinds of foie gras for Christmas and the MOST HEAVENLY caramels and caramel sauce in the WORLD!!! But I shared with Bill, anyway. ;- )

  Mom Feb 2, 2008 4:24 PM

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.