Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

My passion for saowarot

THAILAND | Wednesday, 10 October 2007 | Views [1158] | Comments [1]

While I may tell my students that my favorite fruit in mango, that isn’t exactly the truth. Don’t get me wrong, I immensely enjoy eating (and drinking) mango both green and ripe. I eat it at least once a week if not more. But what I truly love, errr... am addicted to, is saowarot or passion fruit.

Don’t let the tough exterior fool you. It may appear to be a red potato that you forgot in your vegetable drawer for several months. However, as the old adage goes, it doesn’t matter what’s on the outside, it’s what’s on the inside that counts.

My favorite part of eating the passion fruit is the first initial whiff after slicing off the top. The intoxicating odor bulls me over with promises of what’s yet to come. If I could walk around all day, and continually smell the passion fruit I would be completely content.

The inside is a bit like an extremely juicy pumpkin, bright orange, and filled with seeds. After the first bite, the intense sweet and sour explodes on my palate, (sadly) knocking out my sense of smell. Despite the seeds, the texture is completely smooth, almost like a liquid floating across your tongue and down your throat.

Every time I scoop up the succulent pulp and slurp it down, I seriously consider how I would catch this experience with words. However, everything comes out trite or cliché. To truly experience this fruit, you are just going to have to go try it yourself.

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

Don't expand my horizons any more. There are already too many foods that I just adore. Love ya. G

  Grandma Oct 16, 2007 10:25 AM

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.