Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Party in Parati

BRAZIL | Saturday, 17 January 2009 | Views [731]

When we finally left Ilha Grande on 31st January we went to Parati. We had thought we would stay on Ilha Grande for New Years but it wasn't possible. Apparently all Brazilians go to the coast at New Years and the WHOLE island was booked out, even the camp sites. So, on we went to Parati and we were lucky to get beds there!


We hopped on the local bus (something the bus companies like to pretend you can't do) and 2 and a bit hours later we were in the Historic Centre of Parati. Old colonial buildings and crazily cobbled streets. We hit the town for New Years Eve. There was free (but not great) music on a big stage on the beach and at midnight they let loose a ton of fireworks. They were pretty cool, wandered around for a while more and went back to the hostel at about 2. Very early as the party was continuing on the streets but Dave had definitely had enough to drink and had is heart set on sleep, so off to bed it was.


We spent the next few days in Parati, hoping the weather would be good but there were quite a few drizzly days and we spent a lot of time watching TV. Which was good, we hadn't had one for a while. We did get one really nice day though and a few of us from the hostel went down to the dock and hired a boat for the day, it took us to a couple of pretty beaches and allowed us to see, from a distance, some of the houses belonging to rich people. We also had some really good Thai food in Parati, the best we've had on our trip so far. Wanted to go back again but it was well over our budget and so had to settle for pasta and sauce, again.


When we finally managed to get a bus ticket out of Parati (not only is it difficult to book hostels, you also have to book buses in advance) we went to Sao Sebastio to get the bus to another island – Ilhabela.

Cobbled streets in Parati

Cobbled streets in Parati

Tags: new years eve, parati

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.