Existing Member?

Travels in South America

This Island Bites!

BRAZIL | Saturday, 17 January 2009 | Views [541]

In Ilhabela we got lucky with a really nice hostel (Bonns Ventos), had a swimming pool and a pool table and a really good breakfast. As we were only there for a few days we didn't want to waste any time. The first day was spent organising bus tickets, doing laundry and sorting out a tour for the following day. The best beach, Castelhanos, was on the other side of the island and only accessible by boat or 4WD. We decided on the slightly cheaper, but still expensive 4WD option. Sitting in the back of a really old but well looked after Ford we drove for 2 hours to get to the other side. Definitely needed a 4WD here, a massive amount of mud. Lots of sliding around and very bumpy, the Brazilians seemed to find the whole thing completely hilarious and couldn't stop giggling. We got to the beach and then walked for a couple of KM to get to a waterfall with a natural pool. By then it had clouded over and it wasn't exactly hot any more so I allowed my whoosiness (do'nt know how to spell it) to prevail and decided not to get in. Dave did brave the water and obviously said it was good and refreshing, not bloody freezing! It was a fairly good waterfall, though after Iguazu Falls we're pretty hard to impress. Walked back down to the beach and spent an hour in the sea. Couldn't spend much time on the beach as there were millions (that isn't much of an exaggeration) of biting flies.


The next day we went to another nice beach, just a short bus ride away and hoped the sun would come out, but it couldn't be bothered and I finally gave up on the sunbathing. Although Ilhabela is quite pretty, it wasn't as nice as Ilha Grande and the bugs were murder. By the time we left I had well over 60 bites. Itchy!

The waterfall.  Cold.

The waterfall. Cold.

Tags: bonns ventos, ilhabela

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.