Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Boogie on down

PERU | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [1129]

While in Huacachina we decided to go on a dune buggy (or as the locals pronounce it boogie)/sand boarding trip.  It was really cheap, less than £15 for the two of us and you’re out for about 2 hours.  So there we were fastened in to what looks like a go-cart with a huge engine, at the mercy of a man who speaks no English and none of the other passengers spoke any Spanish.  Our confidence was not improved when the buggy needed a push start to get going on solid ground.  But the guy really knew what he was doing and it was so much fun.  Hurtling up and down huge sand dunes at great speed, sand flying in your face (if you ever go make sure you wear sun glasses).  At times the dunes were so steep that going over the top feels like when you’re at the top of a roller coaster waiting for the drop.  Then the buggy takes you to the top of the dune, the sand boards come out and you’re encouraged to hurl yourself off what’s basically a cliff face-first.  It was brilliant.  And the best part was the buggy comes down to collect you and takes you to the top of a different dune, therefore, no climbing necessary!  This was repeated 6 or 7 times.  Dave of course had to try to do them standing up, and he deserves a gold star for persistence.  When most of us were feeling nervous about going down lying on the board when there’s pretty much no chance of falling off, Dave was brave enough to try it on two feet.  He fell a lot but gradually got better and was rewarded on the last slope when he managed to stay standing most of the way down.  This to the amazement and cheers of the three groups waiting below. It was very impressive.  After the boarding the buggy took us to another beautiful oasis and then up to the top of a dune to watch the sun set.  It was possibly one of the most beautiful and fun trips ever.  You have to try it!  Later on Dave could be heard at the hotel bar surrounded by Americans praising him for standing up.  He loved it.

 

I forgot to say.  We woke up the morning of the dune buggying (?) to an earthquake!  It’s probably actually called a tremor because it only lasted about 5 seconds, but I could see the building moving.  Apparently they’re quite common.

 

Today (6th Sept) we get a super-dooper Cruz del Sur bus to Arequipa.  It takes about 10 hours but you should see these buses.  They’re double deckers, have seats that recline (fully horizontal in first class), there are toilets and meals are served on board.  It’s like being on a plane but with more room.  ‘That sounds expensive’ I hear you say.  Not at all, £18 each.  Cheap as chips in an expensive restaurant.

The dune buggy.  Lucky for everyone an expert was really driving.

The dune buggy. Lucky for everyone an expert was really driving.

Tags: huacachina, sandboarding

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.