Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Arequipa

PERU | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [438] | Comments [1]

Arequipa is very pretty.  It’s a city surrounded by mountains and a volcano.  One of the mountains is over 5000m and the other is over 6000m, it has snow on the top.  Lots of the buildings are made out of a white volcanic stone.  The whole place looks so much cleaner than anywhere else we’ve been in Peru.  The hotel is really nice and the view from the roof is amazing.  Yesterday we went to visit the Monasterio de Santa Catalina.  A convent built in 1580.  It’s huge, it covers about 5 acres.  The nuns don’t live there anymore; they live in a private building next door.  We did see one though.  The monastery was good, well worth the visit.

 

Last night we had a traditional Peruvian experience – we ate Alpaca and guinea pig!  The Alpaca was good, it had the texture of a normal steak but tasted a bit different.  Guinea pig not so good.  Just fat and skin really.  Poor little thing. 

Tags: arequipa

Comments

1

Hi just wanted you to know that I am really enjoying following you around on your adventures. You both look happy and well, despite the coach journey!!! Missing u Steph.........can't wait for the next instalment!!!
Mrs. L x

  Lynn Lancaster Sep 11, 2008 5:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.