Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Sunsheiiinne

PERU | Wednesday, 10 September 2008 | Views [415]

Taxi to Huacachina on the 3rd and we finally get some hot weather.  Yay.  Huacachina is very cool.  It is a tiny, tiny resort and an oasis surrounded by huge sand dunes.  It’s still fairly quiet but there’s a bit more to do here and the weather and the views really help.  So does the really nice Hotel – yes hotel, not hostel -  that we are staying in.  It’s called Hotel Huacachinero, the Green Buggies.  The room is huge, the bathroom’s huge, there’s a pool and a bar and not a single hippy in sight. (Unlike the rest of the place.  This oasis paradise definitely draws the soap-dodgers.)

Obviously Huacachina being surrounded by sand, the activities here centre around sand too.  We tried sand boarding.  It is really fun, not at all painful and it is possible to stand up for at least 3 seconds.  Sometimes even longer.  Here’s a good video of Dave giving it a go.  We also tried to climb to the top of a sand dune.  Well let me clarify, I tried and miserably failed, Dave tried and succeeded.  It is bloody hard work to climb to the top of a mountain made of sand.  I did only make it about a quarter of the way but that still took me over 5 minutes.

 

Huacachina oasis resort from the top of the big dune that Dave climbed.  Mad bastard.

Huacachina oasis resort from the top of the big dune that Dave climbed. Mad bastard.

Tags: huacachina

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.