Existing Member?

Travels in South America

Sun, sand, Santa and snakes

BRAZIL | Saturday, 27 December 2008 | Views [901] | Comments [1]

An island 150KM south of Rio and off of the coast, Ilha Grande is supposed to have some of Brazil's best beaches. We had managed to find an apartment to rent for a week over Christmas. It's really nice with a good view of the sea, the one problem being it's really damp. Today it's raining (which is why I'm writing this) and we found out why it's damp. The roof isn't too great at it's job! Anyway Ilha Grande is lovely. It only has a few small settlements, we are staying in the largest, Abrao.

We spent the first full day (23rd) preparing for Christmas. They don't seem to be that into it over here, even though they're all religious, so we had to make our own decorations, which I think are pretty good. On Christmas Eve we went to a beach called Lopes Mendes. We decided to walk there through the forest as there is a well-trodden path to it. After about 10 minutes Dave was worried when I started swearing and gasping. A HUGE bloody snake went across the path right in front of me. A local guy who walked past us a minute later said not to worry as the green ones aren't dangerous, he tried to pick it up, thankfully the snake got away. This snake was really skinny but must have been a metre and a half long. It scared the crap out of me. The local guy told us that the brown ones are dangerous and we should watch out for them, easier said than done when walking through a rainforest where EVERYTHING looks like a brown snake. We spent the next 2 and a bit hours walking and watching for snakes. Thankfully we didn't see any more, although we did see some kind of monkey thing, haven't worked out what it was yet. The beach was definitely worth the walk. It was beautiful. 2KM of perfect white sand and a really blue warm sea with big waves. Needless to say we both spent too long in the sun and got burnt but it was a great day.

Christmas day. What to do? Skype the family, send a couple of e-mails. Drink. Drink. Drink. We cooked a nice roast dinner (although they don't have turkeys here, or gravy apparently) and had a substantial amount of beer. Just like home. What wasn't like home was that we ate outside on a balcony looking out to sea. Have to admit I missed the cold weather a little bit as it didn't seem Christmasy without it but I'm over that now and looking forward to the sunshine tomorrow.

Us in our beautiful home made Christmas hats.

Us in our beautiful home made Christmas hats.

Tags: ilha grande

Comments

1

Hello Mr:LaCumber :D

how are you ?

me and George miss you lots :D

  ALAN KAM Jan 18, 2009 4:58 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.