Existing Member?

Slavic Trails

Vang Vieng

LAOS | Tuesday, 20 April 2010 | Views [516]

We stayed a total of 6 nights in Vang Vieng, which also took in the Laos new year. Apart from the drinking that goes on here there's not much to say. In terms of tubing - youre supposed to sit in a rubber tube over a 3km strtch of the river which is lined up with bars. It was described as a spring break alternative to me. In reality people just hang around the first 50m. On the 1st day we tried it Chris got his tub stolen afer using it once to cross the river. THere are rope swings and slides over the river. Plenty of scare stories about drunk people killing themselves using them so I stayed clear and stuck to the beer.

The 2nd time we went we managed to get 1km down the river before giving up and catching a tuk-tuk back. The whole thing lost its sheen for me when chris spotted a condom floating past him. I dont think I went in the river agsin after that.

Plentey of power cuts throughout the town. One power junction actually went up in flames one evening and the power was out for the whole evening.

It was good fun being there during the new year. The Laos people are so friendly. A massive contrast to Vietnam. The are is a lot less tourist driven so things could change, but I hope they don't.

With time running out I made a beeline for Chiang Mai.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.