Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

In the 'Zon.....

ECUADOR | Friday, 16 March 2012 | Views [754] | Comments [1]

So, it's been a while since the last update..... But have fallen in love with a new country..... I already have a couple of favs.... But Ecuador  is now solidly in the top 5. We've had a very busy last week, starting of with a quick flight from Quito to Cocoa..... Then a two and a half hour boat ride up the Napa River, then a jungle walk cutting across to an inland lake , then. Canoe ride to our Amazon lodge..... Ahhhhh the serenity!!

I tell you, I could NOT of been more relaxed if I tried.....

Slightly nervous about seeing any kind of eight legged fury things though.....

The jungle is really wet hey..... Things smell weird and wet and things grow big...

We has a night time walk into the jungle with our torches and gumboots (soooo actractive), and saw loads of bats, spiders, insects, and HEARD lots of very weird sounds, and did I mention the spiders????? Yeah, I know I don't like them, but I think I even surprised myself with my girlish squeak at the sight of fury legs that were just way too long to be real. I shut my eyes, squealed and pretended it wasn't happening, and then just focused on moving one foot in front of the other, breath, walk breath....

I had a sleepless night that night, the Moskito net  just didn't provide me with a secure feeling at all!!!!

Anyway, next day saw a canoe ride and some monkey spotting, not to mention the birdlife, simply stunning. The plant life was out of the world too. A spot if fishing saw me catch the largest of the piranhas and have us cooked up at dinner time to share with everyone, suprisingly a very light and tasty feed, a few bones though.....

The next day we went up to the bird hide and tower, where again we were blessed with sighting of all sorts of birds, and to top it off a number of Tucans!!!! Woo hoooo!

We'd been looking for snakes the whole time but still hadn't seen any until our guide found one at dinner time at the lodge..... A little baby boa!!! Soooo cute! It was about 15cm long! The guide was mucking about and trying to scare people, he'd seen my reaction to the tarantulas and thought he shove it my way, I quick like snakes and didn't budge, but the snake did! Two quick swipes at my bosom, and you way as well call me Cleo! Yep, two baby fang marks in my left Titicaca people! I really think the guide was in shock, but I tell you I was soooo amused, am still laughing about it!

The next day saw us back on the Napa and looking for clay eating parrots, which of course we found, and, quite by chance we also spotted a full grown Boa as well!!! Awesome! We also visted the local indiginous people, tested their blow guns and painted our faces with red berry fruit like any other ridiculous tourist would do.... A fun day. In the arvo, more hammock time and cocktails..... Damn this life.... Gotta say, La Selva lodge was just awesome, the people were amazing, the local guides were beyond amazing at spotting animals etc and the food was to die for!  The French chef even found the time to paint some temporary tatts on my feet, yep hated that happening as well!  Well, we've been back in Quito for a few days now, and it's been fabulous as well, had a big night last night to say goodbye to Bianca, and am feeling it now! Just killing sometime now until our 12hoyr bus ride back to Peru.... Cannot wait..... I'm sad to leave Ecuador, but just might return someday, I've enjoyed it that much! Well, until next time peeps! Buenos Noches  

Comments

1

Hi Simone... sounds like you are having the adventure of a life time!!! Glad to hear that you have survived the treks, the spiders, the boas!!!! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your updates. I look forward to them and must admit was a bit worried when we didn't hear from you for a while!! Take care love Alenka xxxx

  Alenka Mar 19, 2012 3:05 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.