Existing Member?

Travel Adventure - Backpacking Latin America's Gringo Trail Backpacking Latin America starting in Cuba, then travelling from East to the west coast of Mexico before making our through Central and finishing in South America.

Monteverde - zip-lining, butterfly sanctuary and cloud forest

COSTA RICA | Wednesday, 29 July 2015 | Views [349]

Crossing the border in to Costa Rica went pretty smoothly. Only small issue was not having small notes to pay the taxes at the border. For some reason the offices at the borders never have change , I think they just like to make it really difficult for people passing through. There were very small lines and we just showed the receipt of the ore booked bus and we got through fine. We caught a bus to Irma and then waited at the bus stop for another bus to come by at 3pm. We were the only ones at the start so we hoped we were at the right place but one by one travellers started to arrive at the bus stop to catch the same bus to Monteverde. 
It was really nice scenery of green hills on the way. We started chatting to two Aussie girls from the Northern beaches who were both casual teachers, loved their jobs but decided to travel for a year or so. 
The town of Monteverde itself was really cute. It was surrounded by trees as it was in the rainforest, with cabins and lodges everywhere. It reminded me of Jindabyne or Katoomba and being at the snow although it wasn't snowing. Although it did feel considerably cooler as we were a bit higher up so at night we had pants and jackets on. Our hostel did have our reservation, which has happened once before through hostel world and they were full so we walked up to the hostel Sarah and Jayne were staying at. We checked in to our little cabin, then got dinner at a typical Costa Rican restaurant (which all through Central America is beans, rice, tortilla, egg and/or chicken or meat). We then went to The Treehouse to get hot chocolates. It was a really cool restaurant which was pretty much built around a tree trunk with long branches that acted like the roof. The hot chocolates were amazing aswell! I had coconut and cream in mine too! So good.  It was a bit more pricey but everyone has said how Costa Rica is the most expensive Central American country coz a lot of Americans holiday here. Which we realised was true maybe slightly under Sydney prices, plus there is so much to see and do here, you're paying for lots of tours etc too. We also booked with the girls to do the extreme zip lining the next day.
I was actually getting a little nervous on our way to Extremo Park! We signed a waiver then got suited up in our harnesses and helmets. Went through a quick briefing and there was actually more you had to think about than I was imagining. Like how to stay balanced and how to break. We went on about three little ones which was pretty cool above the tree tops. It made a loud zip sound when you went across. We arrived at the first proper line we were crossing and I was thinking shit do we have to cross that! It went from one mountain to the other over a valley below. We were doing three of these and the longest one was about 1km and they were about 200m high... so they were pretty long and high. The first one was tandem so went across with Matt which was fun and he did all the breaking so I just enjoyed the view. A couple of little ones in between then we went back across on another long one which you went by yourself and I was shitting myself! They look so long and fast when you're waiting, I think the anticipation is the worst. Plus it's a loooong way down if you fall. I'm sure it's perfectly safe but it's weird to think you're just attached to a rope with a little metal wheelie system. When you're actually on the zip line you actually don't feel like you're going that fast. The wind feels strong and I was just trying to keep myself from turning around with my right hand (which has a padded glove) while also not braking at the same time (which is just by putting pressure down with your hand). If you break too much you might stop too early and you're stuck in the middle of the zip line and you either have to turn around and pull yourself to the end or get rescued. 
We then all went on the Tarzan swing. I liked this the best. Even though I was a little scared beforehand, it's definitely an adrenaline rush when you drop and then swing out amongst the trees. The last zip line was called the 'superman' and they saved the longest line till last. I was absolutely shitting myself before this one because they hold your legs up and you are laying flat looking down - like superman or an aeroplane. You pretty much have no control. And I thought this was a short one through a tunnel but no it's was the longest one across the drop of a valley. Jayne and everyone else love it but I was tense, with tears coming out my eyes from the wind just looking ahead waiting to get across to the other side. You then went superman through a really long tunnel which I liked a lot better. It was scary but exhilarating and such an awesome experience! People we were chatting to said Costa Rica is one of the best in the world to do it in coz the scenery is so good. You could also opt to do bungy but I think we'd had enough adrenaline for one day so maybe we'll save that one for an NZ trip!
We were all starving when we got back to the hostel so got burritos from a place around the corner. We chilled for a bit then the girls went to bed (they were getting up early the next morning to leave to their next destination. Hopefully  we'll catch up at the Glenmore Hotel when they get home from their travels!). Matt and I then went and got dinner at a really nice vegetarian restaurant. It had a cool mural of a buddha face at the entrance and two cute labradors greeted us. A really chilled vibe with old school bluesy/jazz music playing, yummy food and homemade banana cake with honey warmed up for dessert. Yum! 
Matt and I got up early the next morning to go to the Monteverde Cloud Forest  (rainforest), not sure if its a bit higher that there's lots of cloud and mist that move through the forest, hence the name. It was a really nice walk seeing the lush green trees and plants. We had to get the bus back at 11am so we could only do the short 2 hour walk but saw the hanging bridge and waterfall. Didn't spot many animals, only birds. At the end we got coffee from the hummingbird cafe which had so many little hummingbirds flying around an eating from the feeders. Tried to take photos of a couple but they are quick little buggers. Pretty cool though. 
When we got back we went to the butterfly sanctuary, much to Matts delight haha. The garden we went to is called Mariposa and I think it's the very first butterfly sanctuary established in Costa Rica. It was pretty good as a guide was included in your ticket entry and a US/Venezuelan student studying natural science and doing an internship took us on a private tour. He was actually a really cool guy and loved Australians. His best mate was from Melbourne. Anyway first up he showed us some insects and told us some fun facts about each which was good for Matt and he saw a tarantula which we wanted to see. Then we we given some butterflies that came out of their cocoon that morning and we were going to release them in to their habitat. We were led through 4 gardens of different habitats/climates. There were big beautiful blue winged ones that had brown underneath that looked like bark and owl eyes and also a snake head pattern! (to warn off enemies). There was also ones with translucent wings. All their wing patterns were so incredible. Again they were really hard to capture in a photo coz as soon as you would see one close or that would land on you or a flower they would just fly away immediately. We then released our butterflies in the last garden. It was good and the guided tour definitely made it more interesting.
We grabbed a quick bite to eat and waited for our shuttle (not a jeep) to take us on a Jeep-boat-jeep to La Fortuna. We stayed in a backpackers hostel that Steph recommended. It was a huge hostel with a pool (which had a tight rope across it - matt gave it a go) and a bar/restaurant etc. and we stayed in safari tents. There was a hot shower which was so nice. hadnt had a good hot shower like that in ages! We just chilled there and got dinner as we arrived about 5pm and had to get up at 5am the next morning to do white water rafting and transfer to Peurto Viejo.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.