Existing Member?

On the Loose So, Here I go!! I will add updates frequently with pic's so you can all live vicariously through me!! and join me whenever possible- Love and Peace to you all, I will miss you, hoping to be back soon with a whole new life!!

Safari day 1 Ndutu

TANZANIA | Friday, 23 November 2007 | Views [494]

1st day sightings
Elephant
zebra
thompson's gazelle
dikdik
ostrich
guineafowl
vulture
spotted hyena
waterbuck
grant's gazelle
warthog
wildebeest
giraffe lots of giraffe
superb starling
baboon
genets   mongoose family looks like cat
buffalo
termites
The first day of our adventure we were mostly traveling in our landrover.  The roads were great and new at first and the Maasai warriors in traditional garb wandered the fields on either side of the road tending their cattle and goats, we left the main roads and enetred Ngorogoro National Park and as soon as we entered the park I yelled elephant!!! Seriously right there about 12 feet from the car in the bush was an elephant!!   It was so surreal, I thought I was hallucinating..like I just saw and elephant!!!  I guess they were gonna get used to me I screamed when I saw the Baboon!!

We drove on these crazy bumpy one lanr roads up the side of a mountain and passed from the Rift Valley and past Lake Mahnaara and up to the top of the crater.  We were literally driving on the rim of the crater with the earth falling away on either side and views as far as you could see.  The climate was lush and green and tropical here.  The first view of the inside of Ngorogoro crater was spectacular!!

We continued on with me shouting each time I saw and animal and Chui having to pull over and identify it...it rained a little and the red clay turned slippery and we slid around on those high passes!!!  Driving on the left the whole time, me in what would be our driver seat, I was glad I was not really driving!!

We turned offroad and drove through a Massai cow field and continued across the open plain, Chui said it was a short cut.  We arrived some time later at Oldupai Gorge, the p was later turned to a v but the correct is with a p according to the Massai people.

it isso amazing to be in a place where there is so much history and the layers oof civilization and to be able to actually see the different layers and the corresponding years on earth. the fossil and skeletons of extinct man and creatures were amazing to see.  It is hard to imagine that time and place and that there was a period of none existence.

We left and had a 2 hour journey to get to our lodge,let me say this..I needed a sports bra!!!!!!!! The road is very bumpy and very dry and we would go thru sand traps and slide all over the place...Chui pointed out a hump back mtn and said we were heading that way.....

Got to stop and see Giraffe's on the way, so amazing,such beautiful and graceful creatures.  Made it to Ndutu Safari Lodge.  The place is great, thatched roofs and open air restaurant and bar,tremendous food and fine Tanzanian gin, Yoayi.  We grabbed drinks and were joined around the fire by the dikdik's.  There is a fire pit out among the acacia trees, so incredible to watch the sunset.  Could not sleep, it was a full moon and it lit up the acacia trees out my window and just so excited to be in Africa!!

Tags: The Great Outdoors

 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.