Existing Member?

On the Loose So, Here I go!! I will add updates frequently with pic's so you can all live vicariously through me!! and join me whenever possible- Love and Peace to you all, I will miss you, hoping to be back soon with a whole new life!!

Last Night in Vernazza

ITALY | Friday, 16 November 2007 | Views [582]

Last night in Vernazza
So the wind is howling out in the little alley near my apartment and I cannot get warm..need to hop in a hot shower and see if I can get enough clothes on to go out..Heading down to find a place for dinner,now about 8:30 as noted by the church bells that start chiming in town at 7am and stop at 11pm,mark the hour and the 1/2 hour.  The town is quiet and some of the places that were open yesterday are closed today...made it to Trattoria Gianni and it is packed as I think it is the only place open tonight in town.  4 tables of americans,not including me,1 table of french people and one table of locals.

a foursome from-VA tech studying in Switzerland on break, a couple from Texas, another couple from San Francisco who shared their biscotti with me as I got a free local dessert wine..schotti?? no one could figure it out but it was soooo good, Alessandro my waiter brought me a complimentary glass but forgot my cookie according to the San Franciscans and it was much better with the cookie!!!  Had a nice mixed salad and more pasta with mussels and a Cinque Terre wine,made collaboratively by all five towns grapes....sooo good!!  Had a "pick me up" aka Tiramisu for dessert...yum....

Headed over to the Blue Marlin for some after dinner fun.;...and I walk in and they were trying to close...no one wants to work at this point in the season...but I and a few others convinced Massimo and Hector to stay open.  Met some people who i was "following" today...you run into the same people all ver the 5 towns all day it is so comical.....anyway one was a pharmacist from Iowa and his daughter, another couple from Minnesota and Theadre from Montana who now lives in Seattle.

Alessandro showed up and we all moved with our whiskey into the other room while Hector and Massimo cleaned up and closed....So then we headed down to the Harbour and hung out under the stars in the "office" the big local hang out...a quiet little cubbey hole carved out in the seawall and listened to the sea roll in.....It was all fun and games until one of the locals in a house up above opened their window so we would quiet down... The2 boys are local Vernazzan's  and told stories of how much the village has changed in the past 15 years...they had no running water...anyway they were interesting and fun...Hector was beautiful..a- little to beautiful.....

Climbed back up to my little room in the sky...and spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to run the washing machine...should have done this earlier...duhh.... ciao

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.