Existing Member?

Travel Scholarships - Travel. Experience. Contribute.

2010 World Nomads Travel Writing Scholarship : The Shortlist

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 December 2009 | Views [6646] | Comments [9]

 

This year’s Travel Writing Scholarship attracted 840 travel writing enthusiasts.  The Judges were whisked away to all the corners of the globe.  From the Gobi desert to lush rainforests of the Amazon.  From steamy spice markets in Marrakech to frozen glaciers in Greenland.  You have been chased by hawkers, wild dogs, tigers and elephants.  You have taken us on epic mountain climbing adventures to tear-jerking rides on public transport.  You've sampled exotic foods which both tested your tastebuds and satisfied your souls.  …Its been emotional!

It has been a very difficult task, but the judges have selected the shortlist of 18 entries which will go on to the final round of judging. 

The Judging Process:

The entries have been judged internally by the World Nomads marketing team based on the below judging criteria.  Both the essay and response to the question ‘why you should be awarded the Scholarship…’ have been assessed.

 

The Judging Criteria:

(From the 500 word essay)
1.    Content – answer the question.
2.    Creative – transport the reader to the scene with vivid detail.
3.    Structure – use correct grammar and spelling.

(From the 200 word response)
4.    Travel Experience – demonstrate experience of travelling solo and possibly in intrepid territories.
5.    Attitude -  illustrate passion for travel and  to learn the craft of travel writing.

Simon Richmond (Rough Guides mentor) will choose the winner and runners up from the 18 shortlisted entries.  The winner will be announced on our web site January 8th 2010.

 

The Shortlist (in alphabetical order)

 

 

Lucy Barbour

Danielle Broome

Leon Cairns

Heather Carreiro

Daniel Douglas

 

 

 

Kate Fitzpatrick

Tracy Gilbert

Sonja Kamphuis

Lizza Lane

Sofia Levin

Adrian Livingstone

Amy Palfreyman

Ragini Puri

Andy Summons

Karen Tait

Anjaly Thomas

Robert Winkelman

Yunki Yau


Congratulations guys!  Fingers and toes crossed for the final verdict which will be posted January 8th 2010.

 


 

Thank you all for sharing your wonderful experiences with us.  If you did not make the cut this year then be sure to check out the winning stories when they are posted January 8th 2010.

Also if you haven't already, make sure you sign up to the SCHOLARSHIP MAILING LIST so you can stay informed on the latest scholarship opportunities.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

1

congratulations shortlisters! : )

  zix Dec 28, 2009 11:43 PM

2

Hi there this is Leon from the shortlist. I can't tell you how excited I am seeing my name there! Thank you so much for this opportunity.

  Leon Dec 28, 2009 11:47 PM

3

Congratulations you guys!! Can't wait to read the winning entry and the runner-up entries! Very excited about this contest :)

  Olga Dec 29, 2009 5:44 AM

4

Congrats to the shortlist!

It would have been useful to know about the judging criteria for 4. and 5. beforehand. How else can one hit the mark? Chance, I guess?! Oh well, maybe next year!

  M Dec 31, 2009 9:34 AM

5

So excited to have made the shortlist!

ps...my name is Danielle, not Daniel.

fingers crossed for Jan 8!

  Danielle Broome Dec 31, 2009 10:58 AM

6



Happy New Year Everybody!

May 2010 take you closer to your goal of becoming a travel writer!

4/ The purpose of posting the judging criteria was to be upfront with everyone and point them in the right direction for next year.

5/ My apologies Danielle, will fix that one straight away!

All the best,

Tara

  scholarships Jan 2, 2010 2:25 PM

7

is the final winner selcted or there is some delay

  pradeep Jan 28, 2010 5:43 PM

8



Hi Everyone,

The winner was announced earlier this month on a separate journal post.

To read the top 5 stories and read the feedback from Simon Richmond, please visit the below journal post:

http://journals.worldnomads.com/scholarships/post/53217.aspx

Hope to see you all back again next year!

Cheers,
Tara

  scholarships Jan 29, 2010 9:07 AM

9

have been useful to know about the judging criteria for 4. and 5. beforehand. How else can one hit the mark? Chance, I guess?! Oh well, maybe next year!

  Phenylethylamine Jun 4, 2011 2:40 AM

About scholarships


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.