Existing Member?

China in a nut shell My dealings with China

My First Lesson

CHINA | Tuesday, 31 August 2010 | Views [352]

Hi everybody,

This little ditty goes something like 'i suck'.

I had my first lesson planning period as well. On Mondays we create lesson plans for the coming week with the Chinese teachers. They are very much in control of content but we get our say too and control of teaching methods. I have 2 classes with the head of the school Jane and they are pretty high level so we shall see how they go. 2 with Ivy aged around 6,7,8,9 and the same with a girl named apple (pretty!). The lesson plans with them went quite well too. I have 3 classes with a brand new Chinese teacher who is still being trained so we shall see how they go.

I had my first ever class today and it was a review for an oral test this coming Saturday. I had the questions so i created a lesson plan covering all they area they need. The class were upbeat and very clever but i did not manage my time well and didn't manage to cover the last few areas i wanted to. I hoped to get them moving about but there was so much to cover we had to go pretty quickly. They were very clever and that gave me confidence for Saturday. Their names were: Gemma, Jelly (sooooo cute), Mary, Lucy, Angel and Alex. My first students! i won't forget you!!!!

After that i wrote evaluations for each student in little log books for their parents (interpreted by a chinese teacher). I thought my day was over but no! There was to be a new student interview. I test them to find out how good their existing English is and then grade them. It was fun because we got to play and i even gave him an English name! ALEX was his name and it was good.

After that i had my first authentic Chinese meal with Hugh just down the street. It was pretty god damn awesome (i can say that in china because hardly anyone is religious!) good portions and great price! i looooooooove eggplant. After that just some films and banter.

Actually that is a lie. I went up to the very top of the building and had a look out the window and holly cow is it high up. I could see so far and it really was just amazing. I took a photo but its pretty dark at 1am.

peace and love, Sam xxx :)

Tags: china, eating, first day, teaching

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.