Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Introducing Nancy

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 16 September 2008 | Views [1143] | Comments [1]

Yesterday we picked up our new home.  An 18 foot Semi Off Road Nova Caravan that we had custom built. We've called her Nancy. 

It was a bloody exhausting day.  We had 6 hours of training and orientation with the caravan dealers so we now know what to do, how everything works and how to tow it. Having never owned a caravan or even towed a caravan before they did have to give us the full remedial "Caravans for Dummies" course, for which we are eternally grateful. 

It was such a weird feeling taking the keys and knowing that finally after so many months of sleeping in hotels in Asia and on lounge room floors back here, we finally have a permanent bed, our own space, and we could finally put things away instead of living out of a backpack.  That probably sounds funny, I mean after all it's only a caravan right?  But as much as any house, the caravan is going to be our home for the next year or two or longer, so I did have a certain calm wash over me at the thought of sleeping in the same bed every night - even if the view from the window is going to be constantly different.

As caravan's go it’s a pearler.  We have our own flat screen LCD TV, microwave, shower and toilet, leather upholstery and full annexe.  We only towed it to a friends place yesterday, but I couldn't wait to crack open a beer and just sit inside, look around and smile.  I can't wait to get on the road and start experiencing the real outback Australia.  Our plan has always to explore most of the 11 thousand beaches in Australia and just go wherever the mood takes us. 

Firstly though we will spend about a week packing the van and getting some last minute adjustments done to the jeep.  Then next Monday we are off on our big adventure.  We're heading up to Darwin. Call me troppo but I've always wanted to experience the build up to the wet season in the top end. Hopefully we can pick up some work and do some serious exploration of the Northern Territory along the way.

Tags: nova caravans, travelling around australia

Comments

1

Hi Rosi, Jen & Nancy.
Hope you guys are having a wonderful time, slightly jealous, I crave the caravaning life again,
Take care & safe travels.
Cheers
Dale (CCS, Lismore)

  Caravangirl Aug 16, 2009 6:58 PM

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.