Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Good Morning Vietnam

VIETNAM | Sunday, 2 March 2008 | Views [1082] | Comments [1]

We arrived in Hanoi yesterday afternoon and on the way in from the airport in the taxi our minds exploded with images of the South East Asia we had always imagined.  The moment I saw the guy with 48 dozen eggs strapped to the back of his motorbike racing the guy with the full sized banana tree strapped to the back of his moped, riding past the rice paddy field I just knew I was going to love Vietnam.

Hanoi is organised chaos.  There are scooters and motorbikes and bicycles and cyclos EVERYWHERE, all crazily roaming the streets in apparent harmony with wide eyed tourists narrowly missing being wiped out and elderly ladies wearing conical hats carrying heavily laden bamboo baskets across their shoulders. 

People sell baguettes and cook street food on every corner.  The smells and sounds suck you in and you find yourself desperate to be part of it all. There is a photo opportunity every 2 seconds.  The colour, the architecture, the ancientness, the grime, the beauty, the style, the charm, the smiles on the Vietnamese children’s faces, the spirit of the people... it all just reaches in and warms you.  I can't remember a time when I have felt so alive.  All my senses are working in overdrive just to absorb my surroundings.  It’s exhausting too, but it’s a wonderful tiredness that also exhilarates.. if that makes sense?

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

What you have written here is exactly how I felt on my first trip to Vietnam back in 1997. I have gone back three times since then and plan to leave the USA to live the rest of my life in Saigon. On my first trip to Saigon it was like my head was on a swivel. I was lucky in that I made the trip with a Vietnamese friend from the states and stayed in a private home. I made friends and was able to stay away from tourist places and live like the locals. I met a woman on my first trip and brought her to the states where we got married. Now when I go back I stay at her house in Saigon. I sometimes wonder if I is was Vietnamese in a prior life because I feel so at home when I am there and miss it so much when I am not.

  Len Minetola Mar 3, 2008 2:07 AM

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.