Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Toastbox

SINGAPORE | Monday, 25 February 2008 | Views [1035]

Singaporean’s have interesting taste in breakfast foods.  They seem to prefer toast smeared with uncooked eggs or partially poached eggs in bowls.  This morning we simply felt compelled to succumb to this ritual.  Just near our hotel is an amazing restaurant called TOASTBOX.  It is an establishment completely dedicated to TOAST.  You can have traditional toast, French toast, Japanese toast, Chinese toast and if you supersize your toast you can have two prepoached soft boiled eggs still in their shells.  You can have cinnamon flavoured toast, peanut butter  flavoured toast, chocolate flavoured toast, butter flavoured toast.  And coffee YES they do coffee. It comes super sweet with milk.  They thought I was a weirdo asking for it black with no sugar.  We loved it.  What a great way to start the day.

We went on a river cruise today which was touristy but fun.  The ferry driver was a thousand years old and had no teeth.  I’m sure he has been driving the ferry for nearly all his life.  He definitely had that old salt look about him.  Cruising down the river really highlighted the massive scale of development that has taken place and continues to take place in Singapore.  It also showed the disparity between the old and the new with old riverfront townhouses sharing space with gigantic skyscrapers.  It made us both wonder what it was like here just after WWII when modern development was nil.  Walking through the old parts of china town suggest a different time and a very different Singapore.

On our way back we visited again the Funan Digilife Centre and went to an electronics store called Challenger which is kinda like Harvey Norman on steroids.  It’s massive on an unbelievable scale we actually couldn’t remember where we started.  We marked it down as a must revisit on our way back to Australia.

 

Tags: Sightseeing

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.