Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

1 August, Friday

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 1 August 2008 | Views [260]

Happy birthday horses! (In Australia, anyway).

After having stripped our bed and packed our things, we set out from Netherthong around 11.30am to go to Harpenden. John and Denise had visited us in Australia and we were really looking forward to catching up with them again this weekend.

It rained on and off on the journey (surprise, surprise!) but, apart from that, it was uneventful. We reached their house around 3.30pm.

They have a lovely home, with a huge garden in which (amongst other things) is a beautiful tree called a Schumacher! It has frondy leaves, rather like a Jacaranda, with dark red, cone shaped flowers that feel like velvet (yes, I had a feel!).

It was so good to have a natter about our families etc. and we were delighted to meet John and Denise's daughter, Becca, again. She and her friend Alex had stayed with us overnight during their gap year, a few years ago and now she's graduated!! How time flies. Simon, their son will be calling in on Sunday and it will be great to see him again - he, too, visited us (at Di's) several years ago during his gap year, so it will be good to catch up with him again.

We're going to Cambridge tomorrow and I'm so excited as I didn't think we'd be able to get there. We'll also visit Granchester (about which Rupert Brooke wrote the poem "The Old Vicarage, Granchester" in 1912 whilst in Berlin).

Ron and John spent a happy half hour looking at the photos of Liverpool, and talking about Everton!

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.