Existing Member?

Family Travels

And Now For Something Completely Different...

BELIZE | Friday, 22 August 2008 | Views [658] | Comments [1]

Jarrett jumping into the Caribbean for the first time on Caye Caulker.

Jarrett jumping into the Caribbean for the first time on Caye Caulker.

In planning this trip, we realized that the two weeks in Guatemala would be pushing hard for all of us, especially in keeping the kids enthused and healthy. We also wanted to have some time that was truly 'vacation' - you know, relaxing, not always stretching just to order your dinner. That's why we planned this last 6 days in Belize, on Caye Caulker, a small, laid-back island of about 1,500 people.

Given how happy the kids are here (and therefore, how happy we are), I think we underestimated how big the difference would feel between these two parts of the trip. It was already apparent when we got off the shuttle in Belize City and waited for the 1-hour water taxi ride out to Caye Caulker. I bought our tickets in English - what a relief. Belize was formerly a British colony called British Honduras, so English is the official language.

I bought it with currency bearing the face of Queen Elizabeth II, instead of dead Guatemalan generals. For some reason I found that comforting. Either because I'm used to it on Canadian currency, or I'm disgusted by the role the U.S. played in installing and propping up horrendous Guatemalan military governments for decades, or maybe the Queen just seems like a nice lady I wouldn't mind having tea with some day.

The waiting room for the water taxi was AIR-CONDITIONED, the water taxi left ON TIME, and the boat was FAST and SMOOTH.

After 4 nights of humidity and temperatures in the mid- and upper-90s in Flores, combined with Lori's stomach woes there, a hot, grueling day to Tikal, and a long day of riding a van, all of this added up to a very nice shock to our systems.

Be sure to use the hybrid view of the map below to see the beautiful water and barrier reef. Also zoom in - I've marked the exact spot of our cabana. At the time of the satellite photo, Louise hadn't built our cabana yet - her yard looks like an open lot. Also zoom out and see where Caye Caulker is relative to the rest of Belize and Guatemala.

 

Comments

1

R&L, I know this blog was done long ago, but I just had to jot something down here. I am about to go to Guatemala and I have always wanted to go Belize so this blog this day is an inspiration. Gracias! Thank you!

  Tom Mar 11, 2009 12:44 AM

About rarakaki

Rod and Lori in Tibet, 1994.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.